Substitute Teacher - Elementary K-6
THUNDERBIRD PREPARATORY ACADEMY
Thunderbird Preparatory Academy is a tuition-free public charter school located in Cornelius, NC. In 2016/2017, we will be serving grades K-6. Our focus is to provide whole student development utilizing the following education practices: Strengths and leadership based development and the Core Knowledge curriculum. We are currently seeking an exceptional Substitute Teacher to join our team!
TITLE: Substitute Teacher
Performance Responsibilities: Please Review Before Submitting a Substitute Teaching Application
Reports To: Managing Director
Job Goal In the absence of the regular classroom teacher to help students to learn subject matter and/or skills that are required for scheduled lessons and to provide meaningful instruction for assigned classrooms.
- Reports to the school office at the beginning of school day to pick up required materials/schedule of classes and at the end of the school day to return materials. Follows sign out procedures as prescribed by the principal.
- Carries out a program of study prescribed in the lesson plan left by the classroom teacher.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and objectives as indicated in the lesson plans for the lessons, units, or projects assigned.
- Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting lesson objectives.
- Maintains a neat and orderly classroom. Straightens chairs, tables, clears chalkboard, etc.
- Takes attendance in accordance with school procedures.
- Indicates to students at the beginning of class the basic expectations for behavior in the class in accordance with school policies.
- Ensures that the students are never left unattended in the classroom.
- May perform duties usually required of absent teacher such as lunchroom and recess duty, hall monitoring, etc.
- Knows emergency evacuation routes for the classrooms assigned.
- Knows procedures for referring students who are disciplinary problems.
- Knows school procedures and regulations.
- Performs other related duties as directed by principal
- Bachelor's, Masters preferred.
- You will also be required to pass a background check and submit three supervisor level references.
Substitute Tiers: There are two pay levels for Substitute Teachers; your pay status is determined by the following classification:
- Certified Substitute – must have a North Carolina teaching license or a license from another state (current or expired). This position will pay per day.
- Non- Certified Substitute – must have at least a Bachelor’s Degree and does not hold a teaching license fromNC or any state. This position will pay per day.
Job Type: Full-time
Job Location: Cornelius, NC
Required education: Certification or degree related to early childhood or elementary education is desirable, but not mandatory.