Food Service Substitute
Hours will vary-at any location needed between the hours of 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Purpose: Able to perform the essential function of on-line staff positions on an as–needed basis.
Responsible to: Kitchen Manager/Director of Food Service
Payment rate: Per Classified Placement Schedule and Experience
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Language Skills: Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, commons fractions and decimals.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
- Machines, Tools, Equipment and Work Aids that may be representative but not all inclusive of those commonly associated with this position: dishwasher, steamer/kettle, mixer, oven, stove, fryers, slicer, thermometers, gauges, knives, box cutters, meal counting software, desktop PCs, calculator, telephone, fax, scanner, copier, printer.
- Health and Inoculation Certificate on file.
- Assist with set-up of serving lines on a daily basis and make sure that all food is held at the required temperature.
- Assist in some of the preparation of foods in accordance with the menu plan and recipes.
- Operate slicers, mixers, grinders, and other equipment with proper certification.
- Keep work areas neat, clean, and organized.
- Clean kitchen and cafeteria areas including equipment and dishes.
- Requisition appropriate amounts of food and supplies through the Kitchen Manager.
- Restock items as needed.
- Serve items as needed.
- Keep serving lines/condiments supplied with food items, napkins, silverware and dishes as needed to guests.
- Prepare menu items in strict compliance with recipes.
- Keep and Maintain accurate production records.
- Must have basic knowledge of HACCP processes and know how to record temperatures of all hot and cold food.
- Obey safety rules as set by district.
- Report any unsafe working conditions to the appropriate supervisor.
- Attend all required meetings and in-services.
- Handle customer monies at service time, as required. Make change as well as run a cash register or computer.
- Complete necessary paperwork and reconciliation tasks on a daily basis.
- Notify DNS 24 hours in advance of inability to cover an assigned shift. In the event of an emergency, notify the DNS as soon as it is administratively feasible.
Physical Requirements/Environmental Conditions:
- Requires prolonged sitting or standing, and use of equipment including repetitive motions and computer eye fatigue.
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, intense work environment.
- Must occasionally work in noisy and crowded environments, with numerous interruptions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, sit, climb, balance, kneel, crawl, push, pull, grasp, feel, taste, smell, talk, hear, and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee must exert over 60 pounds of force occasionally and/or be able to frequently lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include concentrated attention, depth perception, ability to bring objects into sharp focus, color vision.
- Inside and outside working conditions.
- Frequently works around moving mechanical parts and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and extreme heat.
- Occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties as requested.
Statement of Acknowledgement
I have received a copy of my job description and agree to the terms of employment.
Original: Personnel File