Job Title: Bus Driver
Reports To: Transportation Supervisor
Prepared By: Eric W. Johnson
Approved Date: March 2008
Responsible for the safe and timely transportation of students to and from school and on special trips, which have been approved by Principals and Supervisors.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Be patient and courteous at all times when working with students, parents, school, and transportation department officals and general public.
• Drives assigned routes timely and safely.
• Drives special routes timely and safely.
• Drives routes assigned by principal or supervisor in emergency situations.
• Performs pre/post trip inspections of bus before and after each driving assignment.
• Provides for maintenance of bus and other equipment.
• Attends safety, in-service, and other meetings scheduled by school or transportation department supervisor.
• Keeps the bus clean.
• Maintain a list of riders, route summaries and directions of travel for routes on the bus.
• Notify appropriate personnel when it is necessary to be off the bus.
• Makes recommendations to supervisor of unsafe stops and other unsafe conditions.
• Provides reports required by principal or supervisor.
• Attends re-training sessions as needed.
• Abides by all traffic regulations and laws.
• Monitors the behavior of students while they are on board the bus, and as they load and unload.
• Dresses appropriately to ensure the safe operation of the school bus.
• Other duties or tasks may be assigned on an as needed basis.
No supervisory responsibilities
Essential Function and Qualifications
Minimum requirement as identified by the American with Disabilities Act. All school bus drivers must possess and have with them at all times while operating an East Baton Rouge Parish School System (EBRPSS) school bus a valid Commercial Driver's License, minimum class B with both "P" and "S" endorsements and a Medical Examiner's Certificate. The bus driver must be able to pass drug/alcohol screening.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Must be twenty-one years of age and in good mental and physical health. A driver must have 30 hours of pre-service training (classroom instruction) and 10 hours of pre-service training (on-bus).
A bus driver must be able to communicate in English both oral and written. A driver must be able to communicate successfully with student, parents, school personnel and the general public.
Must be able to accurately compile data, analyze and summarize information and provide reports to Principals, Transportation Supervisors, and the Administrative Director of Transportation.
Standing, sitting, walking, reaching, bending, and lifting up to 40 pounds with assistance as required. Must be able to travel to various locations as required. Must be able to service as well as drive a school bus safely.
Must possess sufficient interpersonal skills to function compatibly with others. Must respond positively to supervision and to accept suggestion for improvement.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Employee acknowledges that he/she is required to maintain a high standard of professional conduct. Breach of said professional conduct includes, but is not limited to, neglect of duty, dishonesty, engagement in acts that are contrary to EBRPSS policy, unlawful activities, or any other conduct which is seriously prejudicial to the school system.
Classification under Fair Labor Standards Act(s) (FSLA)
The East Baton Rouge Parish School System in compliance with Fair Labor Standards Act(s) considers this position NON-EXEMPT from any and all overtime payments.
Bus Driver Salary Schedule
Terms of Employment
9 Month Employee