Job | Posted 3 years ago
Job Title: Bus Monitor
Reports to: Operations Supervisor
Date Revised: 08/09/2015
Dept./School: Transportation Services
Primary Purpose:Ride buses and help driver ensure safe and orderly transportation of students with disabilities.
Ability to understand and follow written or verbal instructions
Ability to communicate effectively with others
Ability to operate safety equipment and adaptive equipment
Ability to manage student behavior
Ability to work well with children with disabilities
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Assist students on and off the bus according to their individual needs including lifting and carrying students with disabilities.
- Supervise students as they board and exit the bus and cross the street following established safety procedures.
- Escort students into the building and deliver to their assigned destination.
- Instruct students on safe entering, exiting, and riding rules and regulations.
- Learn and adapt to each student’s special medical, physical, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Manage student behavior and report student discipline problems in a timely manner to appropriate administrator.
- Communicate with teachers and parents regarding student behavior while on bus.
Routes and Schedules
- Complete and maintain accurate, updated, and timely records and reports including route sheet and daily non-notification forms.
- Operate equipment according to established safety procedures. Make sure that seat belts, harnesses, or car seats are used correctly and help students use safety devises when needed.
- Follow emergency procedures including evacuation of students as needed and assist driver to administer first aid, if necessary.
- Follow established procedures and techniques to perform job duties including lifting and assisting students.
- Become familiar with and follow procedures established by transportation and special education offices.
- Assist driver keeping bus clean and performance of pre- and post-trip inspections.
- All other duties as assigned.Customer Care Skills
- Provide professional communication with students, parents, community members, staff, and other professionals at all times.
- Use proper phone etiquette at all times, speaking slowly and clearly. Take reliable messages, and route to the appropriate staff.
- Ensure superior customer care skills are used via eye contact, facial expressions, voice inflections, body language, and an attitude of “going the extra mile” for others.
- Ensure all requests for information are dealt with in an appropriate timeframe.
- Create and maintain a welcoming, service-oriented environment toward all internal and external customers.
101 Cotton Square , Lufkin, TX 75904
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $10,068
% ELL Students
State Average: 17%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.26
% IEP Students
State Average: 9%
State Average: 558