Adult Education Teacher
Reported Time Position - no benefits / reported time salary schedule
POSITION: Teacher of Adults: Adult Basic Education
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Applicants for the Instructor position within the Adult Education program must prepare lessons for adult students in basic academic skills (ABE); adult students whose first language may not be English (ESL) or adult students seeking high school credit courses. All candidates must have the ability to a manage classroom students with different instructional level. All candidates should be proficient with technology and have the ability to integrate into teaching. Position also entails working with students to gain employment and career pathways information and leading other staff. The applicant is willing and able to work non-traditional hours in schools and/or community settings.
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Education
- Hold or be Eligible for State of DE Certification (elementary education preferred)
- Two years of successful experience teaching K-12 or adult learners
- Strong written/oral communication and organizational skills
- Demonstrated competency in classroom teaching
- Proficient in the use of technology: specifically Microsoft Word / Excel
- Knowledge of Adult Education Principles and Methods of Instruction preferred
- Successful completion of the State of Delaware Pre-Professional Skills Test prior to employment
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Interested applicants must complete an online application and attach (upload) a letter of interest, resume, and two current (within one year) letters of recommendation (one letter must be from current supervisor).
Link to online application: http://www.applitrack.com/christina/onlineapp/default.aspx
- Plans and delivers high quality instruction
- Prepare lessons for students in specified area of Adult Education: (ABE) adults whose skills are either at or below an eight-grade level
- Instruct students individually and/or in groups using various teaching methods, and the Delaware Adult Basic Education state curricula.
- Knowledge and use of techniques appropriate for adult learners
- Administer Pre- Post-assessment to students and interpret results to students
- Use student assessments to determine student academic skill levels or career interest to make class content adjustments as necessary
- Use data to monitor and manage student learning and performance
- Recruit, orient, assess, instruct and retain students in the program to goal completion
- Complete Weekly/Monthly data collection and reports
- Attend staff meetings, state and local sponsored professional development activities periodically
- Refer adult learners with challenging life issues to appropriate resources
- Work with adult students in employment facilitation and career pathways.
- Execution of other assigned duties and responsibilities
- Contact students with excessive absences
- Provide opportunity to make up missed assignments
Employment is conditional upon receipt of an acceptable criminal background report, a negative pre-employment drug screening and a child abuse registry check showing you are not on the registry at any level
The Christina School District is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification, marital status, disability, age, genetic information or veteran’s status in employment or its programs and activities. Inquiries regarding compliance with the above may be directed to the Title IX/Section 504 Coordinator, at 302-552-2601. Christina School District, 600 North Lombard Street, Wilmington, DE 19801; Telephone: (302) 552-2600.