Head Cook - 2016-2017-2
Title: Head Cook
Reports to: School Principal
Status: Full time, 10 month/School Year appointment
Shift: 5:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Start Date: Week of August 22, 2016
Application procedures for internal candidates: Employees interested in this position, must complete a brief employment application and submit a Letter of Interest and comprehensive resume for review. From home page, click “Careers”, Job Vacancies, and Internal Applicants only section.
Essential Job Duties
- Plans and directs the preparation and serving of all food in the cafeteria.
- Responsible for securing food, supplies, and revenues.
- Supervises and participates in the preparation and service of food.
- Supervises kitchen personnel in the safe and proper use of kitchen equipment.
- Trains new kitchen helpers.
- Ensures that all equipment in the cafeteria area is in safe, working condition and notifies the custodian and/or principal when repairs are needed.
- Assists in planning work schedules of kitchen helpers.
- Responsible for maintaining high standards of cleanliness and safety in the kitchen and cafeteria.
- Oversees and participates in the cleaning of the kitchen and related areas.
- Responsible for receipt of food shipments to the school.
Knowledge Skills Abilities
- Ability to write, read, and comprehend simple instructions and correspondence.
- Able to express himself/herself clearly and concisely in both oral and written communications.
- Able to perform duties with an awareness of all District requirements and Board policies.
- Ability to handle stressful situations.
- Ability to effectively manage time and responsibilities.
- Must have ability to quickly learn computer accounting system.
- Knowledge of materials and methods used in cooking.
- Knowledge of kitchen equipment and how it operates.
- Demonstrated clear, effective interpersonal skills including neat and clean appearance.
- Possess knowledge of sanitation standards and chemical use in the kitchen.
- Flexibility to work irregular hours depending on the needs of the food service department.
- Work effectively in challenging situations.
- Ability to effectively work and communicate with students, parents, and school staff.
- Ability to work harmoniously with others
- Any combination of training, education and experience equivalent to graduation from high school.
- Successful experience with quantity food preparation and service.
- Experience working in an industrial kitchen environment.
Necessary Special Requirements
Must be able to obtain and complete 8 hours Serve Safe Certification after hire.
Applicant will be required to complete USDA Professional Standard Training Requirements as required for continued employment.
Calculator, cash register, copy machine, fax machine, telephone/voice mail, oven, dishwasher, and other kitchen equipment.
Physical and Mental Demands and Work Hazards
- Frequently required to walk and continuously required to stand.
- Frequently bend or twist at the neck and waist.
- Occasionally be required to reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- Guidance and reinforcement are infrequently available.
- Memory, reasoning, and exercising judgment skills.
- Mathematics, estimating, and problem solving are frequently used/required on the job.
- Repetitive movements of arms, wrists, hand grasping and hand squeezing.
- Repetitive movements reaching.
- Required to lift, carry up and push/pull up to 50 pounds regularly with or without an accommodation.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean, and appropriate professional manner.
- Regularly works inside in a kitchen environment.
- May work on slippery surfaces.
- Required to stand regularly and for lengthy periods of time.Occasionally walk and crouch.
- Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
- The environment can be stressful due to the nature of the work.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Required to be able to hear conversations in loud and quiet environments.
- Rarely performs routine work.
- The employee frequently works within time constraints and must maintain attentiveness intensity.
- Frequently involved in interactions which require oral and written communications.
- Exercises flexibility and the ability to shift from one task to another.
- Works within time constraints and maintains attentiveness intensity.
- Involved in social interactions which require oral and written communications.
The duties, physical demands, work-environment characteristics, and mental/motor demands described within this vacancy announcement are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job with compliance with the American with Disabilities Act Amendment Act (ADAAA) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. Additional duties are performed by the individuals currently holding this position and additional duties may be assigned.