Director of Budget and Finance
Job Title: Director of Budget and Finance
Reports To: DIVISION SUPERINTENDENT
Primary financial advisor to the Division Superintendent. Responsible for the proper accounting and reporting of financial activities of the School Division; financial administration of the operating and capital improvements budgets; the preparation of the operating and capital improvements budget based on the Division Superintendent’s direction; management of accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll and risk management; coordination of audits of School Board funds and student activity funds. Also, functions as the primary monitor of revenue trends and events affecting federal, state and local revenue streams.
· Bachelor’s degree in finance, accounting, public administration, business or a related field
· Experience in public school or government finance
· Experience in complex organizational budget preparation and the analysis of financial/numerical data
· MBA or advanced education in budget and finance or CPA preferred
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Thorough knowledge of complex organizational budget preparation processes; knowledge of school division organization and administration; knowledge of computer database applications; ability to project future trends with strategic planning; ability to establish rapport and positive working relationships with all internal and external customers; ability to express ideas clearly, both orally and in writing; ability to access complex computer programs to compile, analyze, project, and report data.
· Develops and implements budgets and forecasting financial needs, as well as processing, loading and validating data flowing through the budget information systems.
· Tracks, monitors, and analyzes data to ensure proper allocation, use and status of funds, and reconciling and resolving data discrepancies.
· Seeks ways to improve processes or use resources efficiently by conducting research and analyses, formulating recommendations and following through with execution.
· Identifies issues through regular review of statistics, budgets and financial statements, and then providing recommendations or solutions.
· Develops and implements the budget process for the collection and compilation of system-wide budget requests and program requirements. Develops the annual operating and capital budgets for the School Board; advises the Superintendent of revenue and expenditure status and estimates and the Division’s financial position.
· Provides advice and technical assistance with cost analysis, fiscal allocation, and budget preparation.
· Seeks new ways to improve efficiency, decrease costs and increase revenues.
· Completes federal, state, local, and special reports & surveys.
· Develops proposed budget calendar for review by the Division Superintendent and the School Board.
· Arranges for employee groups to make annual budget and salary requests to the School Board.
· Analyzes and summaries, with coast projections, the budget and salary requests that are presented by employees and by the School Board; assists the Superintendent or designee with position control in the school division.
· Provides information, as requested, to assist the School Board with the development of budget priorities.
· Inputs all relevant budget data, in accordance with local, state, or federal requirements, that are required to produce the annual proposed Division Superintendent and the staff in the budget development process.
· Ensures the accuracy of the membership information upon which the March ADM report is based.
· Provides analytical and summative data during the annual budget development process.
· Confers and collaborates, in concert with the Division Superintendent, with the county budet officials as necessary.
· Prepares budget-related reports as necessary.
· Assists with the provision of budget data that are needed for the completion of the annual School Financial Report.
· Ensures that the final version of the School Board’s approved budget is processed in a timely manner to begin each new fiscal year on July 1.
· Develops models to project the future annual Average Daily Membership (ADM) accurately for the school division.
· Develops budget projections for the long-range needs and trends of the school division.