JobID 397 : School Nurse (Substitute) (#356125)
Education, Licensure and Experience
• Registered Nurse License required
• Possess or qualify for Ohio School Nurse License prefered
• Bachelors Degree required
• Previous experience in school nursing, or similar, desirable
• Alternatives to above as accepted by the Board of Education
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
• Demonstration of and commitment to 's Core Values: Courage, Dedication, Dignity, Excellence, Gratitude, Honesty, Loyalty, Respect, Responsibility, Service, Teamwork, and Trust.
• High level of confidentiality
• Strong written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to work cooperatively and respectfully with staff, students, parents and the public
• Ability to establish priorities, work independently and meet objectives with minimal supervision
• Demonstrates reliability, timeliness and good attendance
1. Coordinate the overall school health services program within the building.
2. Provide direct health care to students and staff within the scope of nursing practices. This includes:
• Using the nursing process to care for students with acute and chronic medical conditions
• Developing individualized health care plans and emergency care plans
• Assisting with medication training and implementation of medication administration
• Counseling and assisting staff with individual health care concerns and emergencies.
3. Ensure compliance with school entry health requirements such as immunizations, dental exams, physicals and maintain cumulative health records in the building
4. Provide screening and referrals for health conditions (i.e. Vision, Hearing, Scoliosis, etc.) of students as recommended by the Ohio Department of Education and required by Board of Education.
5. Promote wellness and a healthy school environment for students and staff by:
• Participation in school health advisory/crisis teams and wellness programs
• Provision of education such as bloodborne pathogens, child abuse prevention and safety trainings
• Monitoring medical equipment and supplies; assist in monitoring AED devices.
• Collaboration with other school professionals and community agencies to promote a healthy emotional environment for all students and staff
6. Conduct required health observations and assessments and serve as a liaison for team members on 504/MFE/IEP team meetings.
7. Serve in a leadership role for health policies, programs and safety concerns as an advisor in developing procedures to address medical issues (i.e. , Mumps, Meningitis, etc) and providing parents with community resource information.
8. Maintain confidentiality of information in nursing records, student files, team meetings and individual discussions.
9. Comply with/enforce student code of conduct, master agreements, board policy, administrative directives, rules and regulations, and state and federal laws.
10. Perform other duties as assigned.