JobID 124 : Substitute Custodian (#340662)
Substitute custodian position for "as needed" basis. Days and evenings included.
$11.46 hourly - benefits not included
Could develop into a full time position
John DePoister - Director of Maintenance - email@example.com or Alec Andrewson - Assistant Director of Maintenance - firstname.lastname@example.org
Under the direct supervision of the Principal, Director of Facilities, and Business Manager, performs general cleaning and maintenance in school buildings and grounds; maintains equipment in functional condition; and provides cleaning and custodial assistance to students, teachers, visitors and others as necessary.
Performs related duties and general maintenance work as required.
- Checks and secures building at beginning and end of shift for the purpose of ensuring the safety and cleanliness of the building.
- Cleans rooms, hallways, cafeterias, restrooms, offices, stairways, and other areas of building according to school district standards.
- Sweeps, mops, buffs, strips, and waxes floors.
- Cleans rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and blinds.
- Washes walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, doors, and sills.
- Removes graffiti, cleans glass areas.
- Replaces light bulbs.
- Sets up and breaks down chairs, tables and equipment in meeting rooms, and functional rooms.
- Clears snow from entrances and walks, and spreads sand and ice melting chemicals.
- Performs grounds-keeping duties, clears debris and maintains grounds.
- Receives deliveries and assists in unloading trucks and storing supplies.
- Delivers supplies and materials to classrooms, bathrooms and other areas of the building.
- Empties wastebaskets; picks up and removes trash and assists in recycling program.
- Performs general cleaning, and repair work, particularly during school vacations.
- Assists parents and other visitors to school buildings with special events and programs.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Uses hand tools of trade and related power equipment, including brooms, mops, floor cleaning and waxing machines, vacuum cleaners, snow blowers, shovels, power mower and hand tools.
Follows all applicable safety rules, procedures and regulations governing the proper use of tools and power equipment used in the performance of duties.
Wears appropriate safety gear, including masks.
Must comply with school district's chemical hygiene program and follow MSDS sheets.
Occasional travel between schools, or between schools and district office, may be required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to follow oral or written work orders from supervisor, and to coordinate work with principal and others.
- Ability to read, write and speak English fluently.
- Ability to describe orally or in writing cleaning, maintenance or repair problems as needed.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with students, staff and others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide all units of measure.
- Ability to work in poor weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain, or snow.
- Ability to work above ground from ladders and automatic lifts.
- Ability to perform work according to standard procedures and schedule set forth by supervisor(s).
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- Ability to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions.
- Exposure to cleaning chemicals, solvents and contaminated trash, grasses, pollens, etc.
- Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying.
Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- High School Diploma or completion of sufficient education to successfully perform the duties of the position.
- Previous experience in building and cleaning maintenance desirable.
- IL Motor Vehicle Operator's license or ability to provide own transportation.
FLSA Status: Non-exempt