JobID 281 : Transportation / Bus Driver (#340351)
Description: Provide safe and efficient transportation services to students with special education needs. The driver is responsible for everything and everyone on the bus. In addition to the responsibilities of all school bus drivers, the Special Education Driver:
- Operates the lift to load and unload special needs passengers.
- Must be physically capable to load and unload passengers.
- Responsible for the supervision of the bus attendant assigned to their route.
- Must perform a thorough pre-trip inspection of the vehicle including wheelchair lift and all equipment.
- Must perform a thorough post-trip inspection as required by law.
- Responsible for the cleanliness of the bus.
- Will be held liable if a child is left on the vehicle.
- Demonstrate a commitment to know about your students, what their needs are, assist locating and implementing important information such as:
- The IEP (Transportation Plans)
- Emergency information, including evacuation plan, special medical information and any DNR orders
- Seating chart
- Emergency equipment (fire extinguishers, first aid kit)
- Exercise universal precautions.
- Maintain a high level of professionalism.
- Maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Communication among all team members is essential.
Qualifications: Be 21 years of age or older. Possess a valid and properly classified driver's license issued by the Secretary of State. Possess a valid driver's license that has not been revoked, suspended, canceled or disqualified as defined in 625 ILCS 5/6-500. Demonstrate the ability to exercise reasonable care in the operation of a school bus in accordance with the requirements of 92 III. Adm. Code, 1030.85. Be physically able to safely operate a school bus in accordance with the provisions of 92 III. Adm. Code, 1035.20. At the time of application, not have been convicted of two or more serious traffic offenses within the previous 12 month period, nor be convicted of two or more serious traffic offenses during any 12 month period while holding a school bus driver permit that may endanger the life and safety of any of the driver's passengers. Not have been convicted of reckless driving (625 ILCS 5/11-503), driving under the influence of alcohol and/or other drugs (625 ILCS 5/11-501) or reckless homicide (720 ILCS 5/9-3) resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle within three years of the date of application. Not have been convicted of committing or attempting to commit any one or more of the offenses list in 625 ILCS 5/6-106.1(a)11. Not have been repeatedly involved as a driver in motor vehicle collisions or been repeatedly convicted of offenses against laws and ordinances regulating the movement of traffic to a degree that indicates lack of ability to exercise ordinary and reasonable care in the safe operation of a motor vehicle or disrespect for the traffic laws and the safety of other persons upon the highway, in accordance with 92 III. Adm. Code 1040.40. Not have, through the unlawful operation of a motor vehicle, caused an accident resulting in the death of any person.
Additional Qualifications: After the pre-employment interview, a new applicant must (1) pass a physical examination, including a tuberculosis test and drug testing; (2) be fingerprinted, as prescribed by the Secretary of State, and clear an Illinois specific background check, with prints forwarded to the FBI for a national background check; (3) complete the initial/refresher classroom course conducted by the Regional Office of Education; and (5) complete the application for a school bus driver permit; pass all written and performance exams necessary for the proper classification of the driver's license and the issuance of the school bus driver permit as prescribed by the Secretary of State or currently possess Class B CDL with School Bus endorsement; (6) minimum of two (positive) recommendations from professional references.
Working Conditions: Morning and afternoon hours / midday and summer hours available / salary or hourly pay options, follow school calendar(s) of route(s) to which assigned, paid training and great benefits.