JobID 250 : Teacher - ESL (#339877)
LEAP Academy University Charter School is seeking a highly qualified Teacher - English as Second Language (ESL) that will partner with the School Principal, to facilitate student success and growth in academic and interpersonal skills through implementing district approved curriculum; documenting teaching and student progress/activities/outcomes; addressing specific educational needs of individual students and by creating a flexible, safe and optimal learning environment; and providing feedback to students, parents and administration regarding student progress, expectations, and goals.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develops and administers curriculum consistent with LEAP's district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Instructs students in the principles of responsible citizenship and other subject matters specified in applicable laws, as well as administrative regulations and procedures of the school system.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms with the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, to evaluate and assess curriculum, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects; with Principal and Chief Academic Officer appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
- Supervises students in activities that take place out of the classroom during the school day, including activities involving school transportation.
- Administers standardized tests in accordance with District testing programs.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Chief Academic Officer.
Education & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Required NJ state teacher certification (New Jersey Standard Certificate, Certificate of Eligibility (CE) or Certificate of Eligibility with Advanced Standing (CEAS) or be eligible for reciprocity with an out-of-state certificate)
- Experience working directly with special education population in an urban classroom setting
- Documented experience using data-driven instruction to achieve significant student gains
All interested candidates should apply directly through the LEAP University Academy Charter School website in the “Careers” section: http://www.leapacademycharter.org/careers.html