Custodian - Substitute
Title: CUSTODIAL I WORKER File 602
Reports to: Head Custodian
Job Objectives: Under direct supervision performs custodial duties to protect and preserve the school building, grounds, equipment, and furnishings. Keeps the head custodian informed about custodial concerns.
Minimum • High school diploma or equivalent.
Qualifications: • Meets all mandated health requirements (e.g., a negative tuberculosis test, etc.).
• Documentation of a clear criminal record.
• Self-directed and able to learn required skills for the position.
• Ability to read and comply with Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS).
• Ability to apply basic mathematical concepts.
• Ability to lift and physically manage bulk supplies.
Responsibilities The following duties are representative of performance expectations. A reasonable
and Essential accommodation may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to
Functions: perform essential functions.
• Checks daily to find out if a school activity requires preparation or clean up.
• Takes the initiative to perform routine tasks independently.
• Upholds board policies and follows administrative procedures.
• Promotes a favorable image of the school district.
• Supports community partnerships that enhance district programs and services.
• Monitors building conditions during working hours. Recognizes when problems may be developing (e.g., unusual odors, noises, leaks, etc.). Immediately reports suspected problems and/or unsafe conditions. Maintains clear routes to fire exits.
• Performs custodial duties. Provides for the regular and orderly removal of trash. Washes, strips, and waxes floors. Sanitizes toilet rooms. Re-supplies toilet paper, towels, soap, etc. Polishes furniture/woodwork. Washes windows.
• Deals with unexpected situations (e.g., ill children, spills, broken glass, etc.).
• Follows approved safety procedures to clean up injuries involving chemicals, solvents, blood, body fluids and/or body tissues. Participates in occupational safety and health training programs as directed.
• Cleans, moves, and arranges furnishings, supplies, and equipment as directed.
• Anticipates needs and replenishes supplies to avoid work schedule interruptions.
• Helps with the receipt of deliveries. Unloads trucks. Stores supplies.
• Complies with safety regulations and environmental laws. Ensures that custodial supplies are labeled and stored safely.
• Promptly documents all injuries that require medical attention.
• Helps maintain the school grounds. Picks up trash. Removes graffiti.
• Removes snow and ice along sidewalks to building entrances and grounds areas as directed.
• Reports student discipline problems, vandalism, and other related concerns.
• Reports damaged or missing safety equipment (e.g., emergency lights, alarm systems, ground fault protectors, etc.).
• Acts responsibly to protect district equipment and property. Takes appropriate action during adverse weather conditions. Responds to building emergencies as requested.
• Helps deal with unexpected circumstances or pressing district needs as directed.
• Helps manage building security. Assists rental groups as directed. Directs visitors to the office. Secures the building or assigned work area as directed.
• Takes precautions to ensure staff/student safety. Watches for student behavior that may indicate a problem (e.g., profanity, teasing, bullying, distress, etc.). Reports concerns to an administrator.
• Reports evidence of suspected child abuse as required by law.
• Keeps current and shares knowledge about advances in equipment technology.
• Respects personal privacy. Maintains the confidentiality of privileged information.
• Participates in staff meetings and professional growth opportunities as directed.
• Accepts personal responsibility for decisions and conduct.
• Wears appropriate work attire and maintains a neat appearance.
• Strives to develop rapport and serve as a positive role model for others.
• Performs other duties as directed.
Abilities The following characteristics and physical skills are important for the successful
Required: performance of assigned duties.
• Demonstrates professionalism and contributes to a positive work environment.
• Performs prescribed activities efficiently with limited supervision.
• Reacts productively to interruptions and changing conditions.
• Effectively uses verbal, nonverbal, writing, and listening skills.
• Completes paperwork accurately. Verifies and correctly enters data.
• Maintains an acceptable attendance record and is punctual.
Supervisory Under the direction of the head custodian and/or lead custodian: provides instructions
Responsibility: and monitors assigned staff, temporary employees, and trainees. Promotes teamwork and helps staff as needed to successfully accomplish delegated duties.
Working Exposure to the following situations may range from remote to frequent based on
Conditions: circumstances and factors that may not be predictable.
• Duties may require balancing, bending, climbing, crouching, kneeling, reaching, standing, and working at various heights.
• Duties may require lifting, carrying, and moving work-related supplies/equipment.
• Duties may require operating and/or riding in a vehicle.
• Duties may require traveling to meetings and work assignments.
• Duties may require working in proximity to moving mechanical parts.
• Duties may require wearing protective clothing and using safety equipment.
• Duties may require working extended hours.
• Duties may require working under time constraints to meet deadlines.
• Potential for exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes.
• Potential for exposure to air-borne particulates, chemical irritants, combustible materials, electrical hazards, equipment vibrations, noises, odors, and wet floors.
• Potential for exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases.
• Potential for interaction with disruptive and/or unruly individuals.
Performance Job performance is evaluated according to the policy provisions adopted by the
Evaluation: Board of Education.
The Kent City School District Board of Education is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, or disability. Employees shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the district. This job description summary does not imply that these are the only duties tobe performed. This job description is subject to change in response to funding variables, emerging technologies, improved operating procedures, productivity factors, and unforeseen events. Rev. 1/03