JobID 593 : Bus Driver (#339042)
Title: School Bus Driver
FLSA Status: Nonexempt
To provide safe and efficient transportation so that students may enjoy the fullest possible advantages of the school system surrirulum and extracurriculum program.
- Safely drives a school bus on days when school is in session over designated routes in accordance with time schedules, loading and unloading students at designated locations.
- Transports students, teachers and others on school field or activity trips.
- Inspects assigned bus before each operation for mechanical defects (see school bus drivers five-minute daily walk around and inside safety check).
- Cleans and refuels bus as needed.
- Transports only authorized persons.
- Discharges students only at aurthorized stops.
- Reports all mechanical deficiencies, traffic violations, or accidents, promptly.
- Maintains order and discipline in an effective and courteous manner among students being transported in accordance with district policies and procedures; reports any incidents involving student discipline.
- Observes and tracks route timing, such as total time en-route, time between stops, loading and unloading times or any other requested information for the purpose of establishing route efficiency, as requested.
- Maintains and submits records and reports as required.
- Follows procedures to ensure that no child is left alone on bus without adult supervision at any time, and that all children have departed bus at the end of all bus routes (morning, evening and during field trips or other special trips).
- Prepares aides and children for bus drills and ensures bus evacuation drills are held as required.
- In case of accidents/emergencies, evacuates children according to written and practiced procedures, ensures that medical emergency procedures are followed; completes a written report as required.
- Attends and participates in trainings, and other continuing education, career and professional development opportunities.
- Uses standard automotive and bus equipment, and telephone.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of all traffic laws, regulations, road signs and related information.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate the bus, conduct pre-trip inspections, and clean the bus.
- Visual and auditory acuity within professionally determined normal ranges, with correction if needed.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to learn and comprehend information from procedures manuals and other materials. Ability to comprehend and follow traffic signs required.
- Ability to physically move through the bus, center and classrooms.
- Ability to maintain composure and perform responsibilities under pressure and in cases of accidents or other emergencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Ability to be regularly, reliably and predictably at work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard school bus environment.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Motor Vehicle Operator's (DMV) License.
- Current Commercial Driver's License (CDL), class B with Passenger and School Bus endorsement.
- Such additional health and age requirements at the Board of Education may desire.
- Demonstrated ability to perform essential functions.