Type III Van Driver
Type III Van Driver – Transportation Department
Position hours will vary but will be between 6:00am – 4:30pm – Friday, school days only. The employee mus be flexible to work within these hours. This job will require a commitment of both a.m. and p.m. shifts. The salary range is $18.48 per hour per the 2017-2019 salary schedule for the district transportation unit.
Line of Authority: Responsible to the Transportation Operations Manager
Primary Function: Transport students to and from school district programs in a safe and efficient manner. Must have the ability to maintain and possess a valid MN class D driver’s license and a valid MN DOT medical certification card.
Essential functions of the job may include but are not limited to the following:
- Under direction of the Transportation Manager and Safety Training Specialist, ensure safe transport of all students, particularly students with disabilities.
- Properly apply safety restraints, car seats, lap and shoulder belts, wheelchair tie downs and other safety equipment on the bus. Ensure proper safety measures are enforced at all times for all students.
- Monitor and enforce student discipline in accordance with district policy.
- Provide support and assistance to all students during transit.
- Report any concerns regarding students to the driver, teacher, principal, or transportation personnel in accordance with district procedures or policies.
- Assist in evacuation of students in emergency situation in accordance with district procedures.
- Understand and use all emergency equipment on the bus such as the two-way radio, reflectors, fire extinguishers, first aid kits, and body fluid clean up kits.
- Provide route information and specific student information as needed to substitute drivers.
- Communicate with parents as needed.
- Ensure that students are delivered to a responsible adult at the school program and home.
- Monitors that possess all the necessary requirements to operate a Type III vehicle will be given first opportunity to substitute drive the open Type III routes.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Must have a proven safe driving record and pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening.
- Punctual on time attendance is required.
- Ability to positively work with children with disabilities.
- Ability to work with behaviorally challenging students including those who may be physically and verbally aggressive.
- Ability to follow and implement verbal and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students in order to monitor and correct student behavior and assess and implement needs of students.
- Ability to work as a team member with staff and parents.
- Ability to understand and follow data privacy rules and regulations related to students.
- Ability to repeatedly climb in and out of bus, able to maneuver wheel chairs and assist disabled students in and out of bus.
- Physically capable of meeting all performance responsibilities required with students, including frequent standing, and walking, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling and regular heavy lifting/assisting of students and communicate with staff, students and parents.
- Ability to lift up to 40 lbs. and/or up to adult-size body weight with two to three person lift.
Perform other general duties to ensure safe transportation of students.