Kindergarten Paraprofessional Substitutes
Hopkins Public Schools is now hiring qualified Kindergarten Paraprofessional Substitutes for the 2015-2016 school year!
$13.23 per hour
The Kindergarten Paraprofessional Substitute will provide students with instructional support and assistance and supervise students in the lunchroom, playground, or other designated locations to insure a positive, safe environment. Duties may include instructing small groups of students engaged in activities, working with individual students one-on-one, leading classroom transition activities, supervising quiet time, and directing movement of groups to and from classrooms, playground, and lunchroom in a safe and organized manner.
- Supervise large groups of students in the lunchroom, playground, or in the classroom.
- Direct movement of groups to and from classrooms, playground, and lunchroom in a safe and organized manner.
- Assume responsibility for monitoring student behavior. This includes guiding student behavior consistent with school rules to ensure student safety, administering appropriate consequences in response to unacceptable behavior, encouraging peaceful resolution of conflicts, and reporting unacceptable behavior to the principal, as needed.
- Identify and report unsafe people and situations.
- Make suggestions for/supervise group games and activities on the playground.
- Assume responsibility for outdoor play equipment. Report safety hazards to supervisor.
- Complete routine paperwork and perform record-keeping activities related to monitoring activities.
- Attend to minor medical needs including carrying and dispensing band-aids, providing cloths for nosebleeds, etc.
- Work with students individually or in small groups in and out of regular classrooms under the supervision of the classroom teacher.
- Reinforce the instructional plan laid out by the classroom teacher.
- Provide instructional assistance and motivate students in all subject areas.
- Plan and prepare study aids such as flash cards and worksheets.
- Assist teacher with classroom activities. Lead breakout sessions.
- Manage student behavior in small groups in order to create a safe, positive learning environment.
- Monitor and report progress of individual students to teachers.
- Perform all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Minimum two (2) years post-secondary education required or ability to successfully pass the paraprofessional proficiency exam.
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience working in a curriculum support capacity with students of various ages.
- Successful experience working with school age children.
- Ability and inclination to take charge of student behavior as circumstances suggest.
- Ability to identify potentially unsafe people and situations.
- Skill to assist students in learning.
- Understanding of concepts and skills.
- Ability to work in a supportive relationship with teachers and schools.
- Ability to adapt to different classroom environments and teaching/learning styles.
- Effective behavioral management skills.
- Ability to take work direction from teachers and resource staff.
- Ability to work effectively with diverse groups of students, parents, and staff.
- Awareness of and an appreciation of cultural differences.