Job Title: Theater Teacher 6-8
Reports to: Campus Principal
Pay Grade: TCH
Wage/Hour Status: Exempt
Dept./School: ILTexas Westpark K-8
Date Revised: April 2017
Salary: $43,500 - $49,500
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' understanding, appreciation of the art of music, including listening a wide range of musical genre, periods and styles. To identify, promote and develop each student's talents in vocal and instrumental musical expression.
- Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with Music endorsements preferred
- Previous teaching experience preferred
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differences in student learning styles.
- Present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles and use results to plan instructional activities.
- Work with other members of staff to determine instructional goals, objectives, and methods according to district requirements.
- Plan and supervise assignments of teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s).
- Use technology to strengthen the teaching/learning process.
- Help students analyze and improve study methods and habits.
- Conduct ongoing assessment of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned.
- Be a positive role model for students, support mission of school district.
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior in accordance with Student Code of Conduct and student handbook.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Assist in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Establish and maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Maintain a professional relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Participate in staff development activities to improve job-related skills.
- Keep informed of and comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies for classroom teachers.
- Compile, maintain, and file all physical and computerized reports, records, and other documents required.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
As assigned by Principal
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of core academic subject assigned
- General knowledge of curriculum and instruction
- Ability to instruct students and manage their behavior
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students
- Ability and patience to work interactively with students
- Skill in organization, time management, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to deliver teaching instruction in accordance with improved curriculum and standards
- Excellent skills in verbal and written communication
- Ability to understand the individual needs of each student
- Ability to effectively use Microsoft Outlook and the student information system
- Contact with personnel within the district and with customers and vendors
- Will be working under the direct supervision of the department supervisor in order to complete day to day tasks
- Will be working with a diverse population requiring the ability to handle all situations with tact and diplomacy
- Must understand and respond appropriately to customer needs and maintain a positive attitude with all customers and colleagues
- Expected to interact with all internal and external customers in a friendly, professional manner and provide quick, responsive customer service
Employee Punctuality and Appearance:
- In order for schools to operate effectively, employees are expected to perform all assigned duties and work all scheduled hours during each designated workday, unless the employee has received approved leave
- Any deviation from assigned hours must have prior approval from the employee’s supervisor
- All employees are required to report to work dressed in a manner that reflects a positive image of ILTexas and is appropriate for their position
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment including personal computer and peripherals
Posture: Prolonged sitting; occasional bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Repetitive hand motions, frequent keyboarding and use of mouse; occasional reaching
Lifting: Occasional light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds)
Environment: Available to work 5 days per week 8 hours daily
Mental Demands: Work with frequent interruptions; maintain emotional control under stress
Any work related experience or additional education/training resulting in acceptable proficiency levels in the above required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be an acceptable substitute for the above specified education and experience requirements at the sole discretion of District Administration.
The above statements are intended to describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills that may be required. District administration and/or my supervisor has the right to add or change duties at any time. This job description supersedes all prior job descriptions for this position as well as rescinding all past and present job descriptions that do not reflect the current requirements of this position.
My signature below indicates I understand and acknowledge my job description.
Employee Signature: Date: