TITLE: TEACHER AIDE
DEPARTMENT: Pupil Personnel Services
REPORTS TO: Director of Pupil Personnel Services
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
The position of Teacher Aide has been established for the purpose of maintaining the appropriate classroom environment so that students may learn effectively.
- Reinforces instructional and behavior objectives of classroom teacher.
- Work with and assist students in small groups or 1:1.
- Escort or supervise students in hallways, locker rooms and lunchrooms.
- Assist in taking students to and from the bus, including handling wheelchairs, as necessary.
- Assist students in the bathroom, with transfers, change their diapers, and other personal hygiene as needed.
- Makes copies of materials for class.
- Advise secretary and teacher of absences.
- Notify teacher/supervisor of student and staff concerns.
- Model appropriate behavior.
- Assist with general paperwork and clerical tasks.
- Assist with correcting/grading papers.
- Know pertinent school classroom policies and procedures
- Observe policy of confidentiality regarding knowledge of students.
- Adhere to schedule and meet program needs.
- Assist with modifying and implementing accommodations for students.
- Assist with behavior management.
- Conduct testing and assessment as requested.
- Coordinate Special Education semester exam accommodation schedule.
- Perform other appropriate teacher assistant responsibilities
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
• Must have ISBE Highly Qualified Status
• High school degree or equivalent
• Strong communication skills: verbal and written
• Good organizational skills
• Able to work without supervision
1. Manual dexterity sufficient to operate a computer and office equipment, including, but not limited to, the telephone, fax machine, and copier.
2. Generally the job requires a lifting ability of 70 lbs.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
This is a 9.5 month contract position with salary and benefits determined by Board of Education.