K-5 Elementary Teacher
Chattahoochee Hills Charter School (CHCS) is a second-year, open-enrollment public charter school serving families residing in Fulton County, Georgia. CHCS, located south of Atlanta, is a charter school offering grades K-6 for the 2015 – 2016 academic year. CHCS will add one grade level each year through the 8th grade. CHCS embodies student/teacher engagement and interactive learning, and features 18 students per class.
Our mission is to inspire all children to the highest levels of academic achievement through rigorous curriculum that integrates the wonders of the natural world. CHCS’s goal is for our students to cultivate the capacity to achieve a meaningful, healthy, flourishing life that embodies responsibility, stewardship, and experimental engagement with the arts, agriculture and environment in informed, imaginative, and rigorous ways.
Thus, CHCS’s focus involves a hands-on, thematic instructional approach, using the institution’s unique rural environment as a framework for student learning. At CHCS, students will select a thematic academic track—agriculture, environment, and arts—from which lenses the state and federal educational performance standards can be achieved.
Teachers hold primary responsibility for the development and implementation of the CHCS curriculum and the success of its students.
Teaching Responsibilities: include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Support the school's mission, philosophies, values, goals, and policies toward students, parents/guardians and coworkers.
- Interact frequently and respectfully with children.
- Design and effectively deliver developmentally appropriate curriculum and instruction which reflects observations and goals of individual children.
- Establish a classroom culture of high expectations the fully engages the children in hands-on learning.
- Work with the faculty and school leadership to frequently examine student data for ongoing refinement of instruction and assessment.
- Share best practices with other teachers and collaborate with them to improve instructional and assessment practices.
- Facilitate ongoing parent/guardian communications and conferences to discuss student progress.
- Keep the classroom environment organized, attractive and safe.
- Passionate about environmental education and our mission
- Highly qualified in content area and/or grade level
- Maintain a professional and no excuses attitude
- Receptive to feedback and desire to grow professionally
- Has the work ethic and desire to go above and beyond
- Highly organized
- Use data to drive instruction
- Alignment with an unqualified belief in the CHCS mission, values, and academic philosophy
- Belief that all children can achieve academic excellence
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education from a 4-year, accredited college or university
- Currently hold or be willing to gain certification/licensure in the State of Georgia for content and grade level assigned
- Pass a criminal background check and other applicable background security measures
- Be nice and sincere and possess integrity
- Strong commitment at helping students achieve academic success
- Strong desire to implement an academically rigorous curriculum
- Demonstrate a commitment to the philosophy that every minute of every day is learning time by preparing and executing engaging lessons
- Willingness to continue to develop and hone pedagogical strategies and classroom management techniques in order to create enriching learning atmospheres
- Demonstrate a commitment to continue professional development individually, as well as to continuously strive to enhance the level of instruction at the school in general
- Implement classroom management practices that are consistent with the culture of the school
- Multi-faceted, multi-skilled, resourceful, and willing to do whatever it takes to help our students reach a level of academic excellence
- Possess an entrepreneurial spirit, be flexible, willing and able to play different roles at the school, and to go above and beyond to meet the varied and constant needs of CHCS community
- Excellent organizational, communication, and facilitation skills
Preferred Qualifications (though not required, the following will enhance a candidate’s application):
- 3 or more years of teaching experience
- Familiarity with Environmental Education, the constructivist approach to teaching and learning, and Environment as the Integrated Context for Learning (EIC)
- Familiarity with the Georgia and Common Core Standards.
- Collaborate with all staff in the design and implementation of engaging lessons that meet the learning needs of all students; exemplify and uphold the school’s mission, vision, and core values
- Collaborate with key stakeholders as necessary to ensure purposeful and accurate implementation of the school’s academic model
- Set clear short-term and long-term goals to drive instruction
- Maintain a productive, safe, neat and focused learning environment
- Create and provide meaningful and frequent assessments in a timely manner
- Collaborate with the Special Education staff to ensure that students receive necessary accommodations
- Go above and beyond to ensure all students are meeting appropriate standards
- Maintain an open-door policy
- Uphold all school policies and procedures
A dual report to the CHCS Director of Curriculum and Instruction and CHCS Principal.
For this position, CHCS offers a competitive compensation package, including salary and comprehensive benefits. Our benefits package includes health, dental, vision, 401(k), retirement, and life insurance.