TITLE: CERTIFIED SCHOOL NURSE
· Illinois Type 73 Pupil Personnel Services Certificate with School Nurse Endorsement
· Registered Nurse Licensure, Illinois
· Current Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation and Automatic External Defibrillation certification
· Experience in nursing and completion of a School Nurse Emergency Care Course
· Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing screening technician
· Computer literacy and competency in use of existing technology
· Prior professional nursing experience, preferably pediatric, adolescent, community or mental health nursing, and health program management
· Administrator – Principal, Student Services Director, or as designated by the District
· Certified (IL Type 73 & Type 75) School Nurse Supervisor
· Director of Special Education
· Non-Certified Registered Nurses working in the school
· One-to-one nurses and other health care providers for students
· Health aides and clerical assistants
The Certified School Nurse provides direct nursing services to students and staff members and coordinates a school health program to enhance health and wellness in the school community. Duties are to be performed in accordance with standards of professional school nurse practice, district/state board of education policies and procedures and law regarding nurse practice.
The Certified School Nurse performs all of the Essential Functions as described in the Registered Nurse (classified) Job Description (2/23/2005).
· Assists with the ongoing development and administration of a coordinated school health program
· Collects and analyzes epidemiological and other school health information and makes recommendations based upon statistical data
· Participates in accident/injury prevention to facilitate school safety
· Assesses the health and safety needs of the school environment in compliance with Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) guidelines, implementing the Bloodborne Pathogen Control Plan and other interventions as indicated
· Enforces the communicable disease prevention and control program in cooperation with local and state public health agencies
· Manages school health records in accordance with Illinois School Student Records Act, providing efficient retrieval information and other related archival responsibilities.
· Participates in a Child Find programs and establishes and manages health screening programs according to state mandates and current health practices.
· Participates in the development of health-related policies and procedures in compliance with state mandates and current health practices.
· Available to participate as a member of the curriculum committee as a resource and specialist in health issues
· Provides staff in-service programs on health topics including bloodborne pathogens and the district exposure control plan
· Provides health related classroom instruction
· Provides and/or delegates direct professional nursing services, first aid, illness and emergency care to students and staff including nursing assessment, identifying health problems, making referrals for diagnosis and treatment, recommending educational modifications, providing follow-up and evaluation, and maintaining appropriate documentation.
· Provides health information and counseling for students, parents, and staff.
· Develops a medication protocol to safely store, administer, document, and monitor the effectiveness of medication given at school.
· Supervises and/or provides screening and follow up for deficits in vision, hearing, growth and development, and other physical deficits.
· Maintains accurate medical records to assure compliance with state mandates including immunizations, physical and dental examinations, and medical conditions.
· Participates as crisis team member and provides crisis intervention for students and staff in the advent of sudden illness or injury.
· Makes appropriate assessments and referrals for suspected abuse/neglect as a mandated reporter.
Health Office Management:
· Maintains a user friendly and organized health services facility conducive to confidential communication and services.
· Maintains health and OSHA suppose and equipment as indicated for the health office and school.
· Makes recommendations for the health services annual budget and critical needs requests.
· Maintains communication with administrators, teachers, other school personnel, and parents/guardians to enhance cooperative action, which will meet the health and safety needs of students.
· Initiates contact with, and act as a liaison between, the home, school, community health agencies and the private medical sector to enhance the health and wellness of the school community.
· Maintains confidentiality regarding all school and health-related issues.
· Participates as a member of the multidisciplinary team in the identification, evaluation, and placement of students into special education programs. Writes the health component of the Individual Education Plan as indicated.
· Recommends modifications of the school program for students who require accommodations due to a health deficit.
· Develops and maintains current health care plans for students who need special nursing interventions during the school day.
· Participates as a member of their professional school nursing (IASN, NASN) and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge in both nursing and education fields.
· Participates as a member of the faculty on district committees.
· Participates as an active member of the school community, representing health/wellness.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
Placement on Certified scale at a level commensurate with education and nursing and school nursing experience.