JobID 353 : Sub School Nurse (#331428)
Position Title: Nurse
Reports To: Principal & Nurse Coordinator
Provide the fullest possible educational opportunity for each district student by minimizing absence due to illness and creating a climate of health and well-being in the district schools.
Educational Level: LPN or RN.
Proficiency Skills: Written and oral communication skills, ability to operate office machinery and deal with multiple tasks, computer competence, typing and proof reading skills.
Personal Skills: Pleasant personality, cooperative attitude, physical skills and stamina to perform essential duties.
1. Maintains a pattern of prompt and regular attendance.
2. Ensures primary workstation and responsibilities are covered at all times during the working day.
3. Demonstrates knowledge and proficiency in the use of computer applications as applicable to job responsibilities.
4. Maintains and manages files, records, office supplies, materials and equipment in an appropriate, accessible and current manner, including records necessary for reporting and accountability.
5. Demonstrates appropriate verbal and written communication skills.
6. Acts in a professional manner and maintains a professional attitude towards the public and colleagues; adheres to cultural diversity guidelines, and exhibits the fundamentals of good public/customer service. Complies with school, system, state and federal regulations and policies, including the PSC Code of Ethics, as related to job requirements.
7. Maintains confidentiality of sensitive information and material; adheres to chain of command.
8. Maintains a professional appearance as appropriate for job responsibilities.
9. Maintains and improves knowledge and skills to promote proficiency in the operations of an organized, modern, updated and efficient office.
10. Participates in workshops and staff development activities and applies what is learned to the job; accepts new challenges in a professional manner.
11. Shows initiative and assumes responsibility for all aspects of job responsibilities; performs routine duties and tasks with little or no direct supervision.
12. Exhibits time on task and a flexible, cooperative, progressive and hard working attitude and style. Limits personal business and phone calls during work hours.
13. Enhances the climate of the building and the morale of colleagues.
14. Demonstrates loyalty to the school system and administration.
15. Conducts school health service, including physical examinations, immunizations and tests for hearing and vision.
16. Assumes responsibility for selection and referral of students in need of medical and/or dental care.
17. Reports to parents, school personnel, physicians, clinics and other agencies on school medical matters.
18. Maintains updated cumulative health records on students.
19. Observes students on a regular basis to detect health needs.
20. Assumes authority, in the absence of a physician, for the care of a student or staff member who has suffered injury or emergency illness.
21. Participates with school staff in developing and implementing total school health program.
22. Advises modifications of the educational program to meet health needs of individual students when necessary.
23. Prepares and submits reports for the Nurse Coordinator and the State Board of Health.
24. Authorizes exclusion and readmission of students in connection with infectious and contagious diseases.
25. Advises teachers on health matters, particularly regarding screening for student health defects.
26. Assists school personnel in establishing sanitary conditions in schools.
27. Performs all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the supervisor.