SY 16-17 CICS Dean of College Counseling
Posted 3 years ago
Civitas Education Partners, (CEP) exists to provide equal access to opportunities that break the cycle of poverty by leading and supporting K-12 college preparatory schools. CEP is a school management organization that operates four campuses of Chicago International Charter School (CICS), CICS Ralph Ellison High School, CICS Northtown Academy High School, CICS Wrightwood Elementary School, and CICS Chicago Quest High School. CEP aims to provide its teams and students with an exceptional experience ro oted in high expectations for student achievement and civic responsibility.
Position: Dean of College Counseling
Reports to: Campus Director
Summary: The Dean of College Counseling plays a critical role in helping ChicagoQuest achieve its mission. CQ will be graduating its first class of seniors in 2017, and the DOCC will assist and lead our students in their transition to the college of their choice. The DOCC’s primary responsibility is to ensure all of our students apply and are accepted to the colleges and universities of their choice. To reach this goal, the DOCC will help each student explore their interests and talents through college prep courses in their junior and senior year, support college readiness skill building, and develop a personal plan for students to apply and be admitted to college. Involving and educating parents will be critical. The DOCC will work alongside our current Dean of Students, our leadership and instructional team, and with our charter management organization, Civitas Educational Partners.
General Duties and Responsibilities:
- Instructing junior and senior scholars within a college prep course that provides skill building and guided preparation for college.
- Providing comprehensive educational, college, and financial aid planning for students and their families.
- Providing individualized support to students in selecting schools and navigating the application process.
- Working with the Student Support Services team to support students with disabilities and language needs in preparing for college admissions and transition.
- Working with the Dean of Students to develop an Warrior advisory curriculum of college readiness with goals and activities for all grade levels.
- Collecting and disseminating information to students and their parents on summer opportunities and encouraging and supporting students in making summer plans
Parent Education and Communication
Outreach to Colleges and Universities
- Providing information sessions and support for families in understanding the college application process and financial aid.
- Providing focused outreach and support to first generation college families.
- Supporting students and families in finding scholarships and college funding.
- Keeping parents informed through regular communications that might include a newsletter, web portal and/or monthly mailing.
Outreach to Colleges and Universities
- Introducing our program to colleges and universities and fostering partnerships.
- Compiling a school profile, as well as information on grading and course offerings.
- Setting up college visits and tours for students in partnership with Dean of Students.
- Arranging for college admissions representatives to visit our campus and facilitating meetings between college representatives and our students.
- Serving as liaison with college admissions offices and completing all School Report and mid-year report forms requested by colleges.
- Communicating and collaborating with our network college counselors.
- Establishing partnerships with local and national organizations to support our students with college preparation and scholarships.
- Identifying and maintaining partnerships for our students to take college classes. Support students in applying and registering.
- A Bachelor's degree and appropriate Illinois State Board of Education licensure, endorsement in their specified teaching assignment
- Strength of academic background, professional experience, teaching
- Experience in urban education settings is preferred
- Prior experience as a College Counselor with a successful track record of student admissions to college preferred