5th & 6th Grade Special Education Teacher
Special education teacher at Brookwood Middle School.
QUALIFICATIONS: As set by state certification authorities
REPORTS TO: Principal
JOB FUNCTION: To lead students toward fulfillment of their potential for intellectual, emotional, and psychological growth and
- Plans a program of study that meets the individual needs, interests, and abilities of all students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of all students.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects, and the like to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs instructional methods and materials that are most appropriate for meeting stated objectives.
- Prepares for classes assigned, and shows written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Assesses the accomplishments of all students using multiple methods and provides evidence of learning as required.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district’s philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Collaborates with colleagues, students, and/or parents on a regular basis.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions for protection and safety of students.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and/or rules governing student life and conduct and, for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, and maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Assists in the selection of books, equipment, and other instructional materials.
- Works to establish and maintain open lines of communication with students and their parents concerning both the broad academic and behavioral progress of all assigned students.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative relations with others.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as necessary and desirable.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Understands the ADA, IDEA, and State mandates regarding student and parent due process.
- Administer district at-risk programs as they relate to this job to provide for safe working and learning conditions, providing for both physical safety and environmentally safe conditions to work in and learn.
- Maintain security and confidentiality of records, tests, and other items relating to students and staff.
- Provide for the safety and security of any and all students should a dangerous situation arise.
- Follows universal precautions in accordance with OSHA standards.
- Other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned by the Principal and/or Superintendent.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Salary, fringe benefits and work year according to
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Board’s policy
on Evaluation of Professional Personnel/negotiated