JobID 373 : Grounds Worker (#329194)
Job Title: Grounds Worker Wage/Hour Status: Non-Exempt
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor Pay Grade: Hourly
Length of Assignment: 12 Months Date Revised: January, 2013
Maintain safe and attractive grounds and landscaping for the district.
Valid Texas driver’s license
Ability to read and understand written instructions
Ability to communicate verbally
Ability to operate tractor and landscaping equipment
Ability to operate riding or power mower, power tools, and hand tools
Major Responsibilities and Duties
Grounds and Landscaping:
1. Mow, edge, trim and detail all district grounds, including athletic fields.
2. Care for trees, shrubs, and flowers by watering, pruning, fertilizing, mulching, caring for beds, and controlling weeds.
3. Plant shrubs and vegetation.
4. Assist with the preparation of athletic fields for games, including chalking fields.
5. Maintain a schedule to water, trim, and fertilize all district grounds.
6. Collect and dispose of leaves, dirt, rubbish, and refuse from district facilities.
7. Assist with the inspection, repair, and installation of sprinkler systems.
8. Assess damage to shrubs, trees, flowers and grass and replant when necessary.
9. Keep sidewalks, parking areas and lawns in clean, litter free and in excellent appearance.
10. Operate tools and equipment according to prescribed safety procedures.
11. Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting, climbing, etc.
12. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and report any conditions that are not correctable to supervisor immediately.
13. Help keep vehicle, equipment, and tools clean and in safe operating condition.
14. Inspect and adjust tools and equipment for safety and efficiency and perform preventive maintenance as needed.
15. Transport workers and equipment to work sites throughout the district.
16. Treat all staff and students in a professional courteous manner.
17. Maintain emotional control under stress.
Tractor and mower, riding and power mower, gas–powered weed trimmer, blower, edger, sprayer, striping machine, garden and hand tools, posthole auger, aerator. Light truck or van.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Continual walking, standing, climbing, stooping, bending, kneeling, reaching, and heavy lifting and carrying. Work outside and around moving objects or vehicles. Exposure to extreme temperatures, chemicals (herbicides and fertilizer), and loud noises. Frequent district wide travel.