JobID 1065 : PS106802TMP - Substitute Consulting Registered Nurse (#328876)
This is a temporary pool position for the 2017/18 school year. Applicants will be contacted to interview on an as-needed basis.
Days, hours and locations will vary.
The consulting registered nurse provides a variety of direct and indirect health related services to students within Bend-La Pine Schools. The nurse works within the school setting to strengthen and facilitate the educational process by improving and protecting the health status of children. The nurse is the major health resource in regular and special education programs within the district. The nurse composes health protocols, provides trainings to staff on emergency procedures and delegatable tasks. The consulting registered nurse works under the supervision of the health services supervisor of Bend-La Pine Schools.
NATURE AND SCOPE OF WORK:
This position is subject to board policies, administrative rules and procedures, department regulations, and applicable state and federal statutes.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Provides a systemic problem solving method based on the following nursing process:
- Nursing diagnosis based on assessment
- Plan of care
- Evaluation of treatment
Teaches and delegates tasks of nursing care:
- Assess client condition
- Assesses and decides whether a specific task can be delegated to an unlicensed staff member.
- Selects a designated unlicensed staff member based upon their ability and skills to perform the task safely and properly.
- Documents the training process in writing: how the task is taught, the teaching outcome, return demonstration
- Develops specific written instructions for the unlicensed person to use as a reference when performing the task
- Arranges for periodic ongoing supervision of the unlicensed person.
Develops emergency and medical protocols for students with identified health conditions:
- Composes and updates individualized health plans with student medical team (including parent, student, and/or student’s health professional).
- Provides staff with verbal and written plans of action for medical emergencies.
Assists in providing an environment conducive to the health and well-being of student safety.
Screens and/or evaluates deficits in vision, and scoliosis.
Participates as health specialist on some student education evaluation teams to develop an individualized educational plan (IEP).
Utilizes Universal/Standard precaution practices at all times due potential exposure of urine, feces, vomit, mucous, blood, and other bodily fluids during direct care responsibilities.
Fulfills performance standards identified in the evaluation process as required by the position.
Fulfills working conditions and physical effort listed below.
The nurse can work with a student or students who may be physically and mentally disabled, emotionally disturbed, and/or culturally different. Supervision responsibilities require that the nurse be able to stand for up to 30 consecutive minutes and have the ability to move rapidly to intervene in situations where a student’s safety is being jeopardized. The nurse at times may be required to lift students who are physically handicapped or unable or unwilling to assist with toileting or other activities. The lifting requirements may include performing tasks which include lifting and/or maneuvering items weighing up to 30 pounds on a daily basis independently.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Nursing practices and procedures
- Policies and legal standards related to nursing activities in public schools and charter school programs.
- Work hazards and safety precautions
- Nursing services to orthopedically and medically impaired children
- Medically community and resources
Skills & Abilities
- Possess the physical ability to regularly attend work and fulfill the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Read, understand, and carry out oral and written instructions.
- Operate and maintain equipment related to nursing services.
- Establish and maintain accurate record systems.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, teachers, administrators, co-workers, supervisor, and the public.
- Possess or obtain a valid Oregon driver’s license and maintain an insurable status for automobile and liability coverage as required by the position.
- Abide by FERPA and HIPPA confidentiality requirements.
- Adhere to Bend-La Pine Schools’ requirements for a drug-free work place.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Possession of an active registered nurse license issued from the Oregon State Board of Nursing.
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing preferred.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience (preferred) as a registered nurse in an acute care setting, community-home health clinical setting, or in a school setting.
CERTIFICATION AND LICENSING:
- Current registered nurse license issued from the Oregon State Board of Nursing
- Current CPR
- First Aid certificate within 30 days of hire date
The statements herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principle functions of the job, the level of knowledge and skills typically required and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work and physical requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned, including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work or otherwise to balance the workload.