JobID 21422 : Temporary Hourly Police Officer (No Benefits) (#327837)
Job | Posted 2 years ago
- Temporary hourly position with no benefits working less than 19.9 hours per week.
This position requires a High School Diploma or G.E.D, and graduation from a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education Approved Academy. Incumbent must have their Basic Peace Officer Certification. Incumbent must have at least two (2) years of full time law enforcement experience.
This position requires state mandated in-service training, successful completion of annual written tests on Texas Penal Code, Family Code, Education Codes, Alcohol and Beverage Code, Code of Criminal Procedures, and Motor Vehicle Code. Incumbent must be able to successfully complete quarterly fitness tests, and semi-annual firearms qualifications proficiency. Incumbent must have a valid Texas Driver’s License.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Incumbent patrols District property to protect all Austin ISD students, personnel, and visitors from physical harm and to prevent property loss to the District due to theft or vandalism. Incumbent must also uphold and enforce all penal and education laws of the State of Texas. Incumbent may have primary responsibilities for police investigations.
- Patrol District property for suspicious activity, unauthorized persons on campus, or unauthorized entry after hours; provide “Close Patrols” for Austin ISD locations, as requested.
- Respond to calls on crimes against person or property in progress, reports of crimes that have already occurred, accidents on District property, and intrusion/fire alarms; perform preliminary investigation at the scene (e.g., gather and preserve evidence, take statements.)
- Arrest adults/juveniles and book persons into jail or juvenile detention centers for law violations as necessary.
- Interview suspects, witnesses, and victims on school campuses.
- Testify in court as needed.
- Review offense reports before closing out or referring to Court.
- Complete paperwork associated with duties as necessary (e.g., affidavits for arrest, incident reports, activity reports.)
- Perform miscellaneous duties as required (e.g., conduct background investigations, review pend cases with supervisor, assist other law enforcement agencies, deliver criminal incident reports to various courts.)
- Provide executive protection; provide transportation to and from pre-designated places for Board Members and District Administrators.
- Provide instructional presentations for students and staff.
- Perform duties of Police Dispatcher as required.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Incumbent may spend extended periods of time patrolling and investigating crimes on Austin ISD property, both in automobiles and on foot. Incumbent may be required to physically restrain parties involved in a conflict. In extreme cases, incumbent may be exposed to violent and/or armed confrontations. Physical fitness tests are required quarterly. This position may involve routine exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position. Other job essential physical standards an Austin ISD Police Officer must be able to perform:
- Stand or walk for long periods of time.
- Run or walk stairs.
- Perform rescue operations that may require lifting, carrying, or dragging heavy objects.
- Jumping from elevated surfaces, such as a loading dock.
- Use bodily force to gain entry through barriers.
- Run after a fleeing suspect.
- Perform patrol duties involving foot patrol, bicycle patrol, and vehicular patrol.
- Effect arrests, using physical force if necessary.
- Physically handle emotionally disturbed and out of control persons.
- Ability to wear bullet proof vest weighing approximately 5 lbs.
- Ability to carry a police duty belt at waist level weighing approximately 15-20 lbs. The belt contains a gun, handcuffs, radio, and ammunition.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
Most duties are performed independently, but a Supervisor may give general or detailed instructions for specific cases and reviews all paperwork completed by the incumbent. Incumbent has frequent contact with District personnel, students, parents, and the general public. Purpose of contact is to serve and to protect individuals within the geographic boundaries of the Austin ISD. Incumbent may also have contact with other police agencies to share information and to provide other assistance.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
Austin Independent School District
1111 W 6TH ST, AUSTIN, TX 78703-5399
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $10,068 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 17%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.26
% IEP Students
State Average: 9%
State Average: 558