JobID 20535 : Parent Support Specialist (#327812)
This position requires a high school diploma or GED. Prefer a minimum of two years of college. Incumbent must have a minimum of two (2) years of experience in education, social services, adult education, community organizations, or related fields.
Incumbent must have effective communication skills, both oral and written. Incumbent should be able to work with a diverse population. Incumbent must have a valid Texas driver’s license, or have the ability to obtain one.
JOB PURPOSE AND RESPONSIBILITY:
Promote, facilitate and develop parent/family engagement in Austin schools. This includes building capacity for parent leadership in the District, working with community groups to engage and support parents, and identifying resources for parents and families.
- Organize and provide ongoing parent/family/community engagement trainings and meetings in coordination with the campus and vertical team principals, campus and district staff, and other community entities.
- Assist parents/families/community and staff in understanding district, state, and federal practices and policies (including the Title One family compact and parent involvement policy.)
- Assist the principal and other campus staff with identifying effective strategies for increasing parent participation by utilizing The National Standards of PTA.
- Establish and maintain productive working relationships with campus staff and parents/families/community and community resource providers.
- Document program activities and outcomes, which will promote the identification of successful practices and the sharing of these practices.
- Collaborate closely with the Learning Support Services Team, the Campus Advisory Council (CAC) and the Parent Teacher Association (PTA/PTSA) on each campus and at the vertical team level.
- Attend necessary Parent Support Specialist district staff development trainings.
OTHER DUTIES AS ASSIGNED:
Perform other related duties as assigned; however, all employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
PHYSICAL EFFORT AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Services are provided in the school/office environment and will involve some local travel to visit homes. Incumbent must have own transportation and be willing to work evenings and weekends when necessary. This position may involve rare exposure to blood or body fluids. Regular attendance is required for this position.
PERSONAL WORK RELATIONSHIPS:
Incumbent reports to the Principal, with support and training provided by the AISD Parent Support Office Staff. Incumbent will consult frequently with teachers, principals, counselors, and other campus staff. Incumbent will be in regular contact with school staff, students, and families.
Pay Grade: CT7
Starting Salary: $16.84/Hr
Comprehensive Benefits Package
Employee Discount Program
Closing Date: Until Filled
An Equal Opportunity Employer