Social Worker CORE
School Social Workers assist with mental health concerns, behavioral concerns, positive behavioral support, academic, and classroom support, consultation with teachers, parents, and administrators as well as provide individual and group counseling/therapy.
The following identifies the primary and essential functions of the position and is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of all duties, knowledge or skills:
- Collaborate with educators and administrators to develop, plan, and implement educational programs for children with exceptional needs.
- Develop alternative and outreach programs for children with special needs through Planning and Placement Team Meetings. Developing and implementing Individualized Education Programs in collaboration with teachers and other staff working with the students.
- Provide the school with essential information about family functioning.
- Develop preventive educational programs for all children.
- Interview families to assess problems and/or issues affecting the child's educational adjustment and development
- Work with parent groups to facilitate their support in their children's school adjustment.
- Link school and community services for students and parents
- Facilitate school district support from social and mental health agencies.
- Advocate for new and improved community/school services to children by involvement in community planning bodies.
- Develop school staff in-service training programs.
- Assist teachers in classroom management skills.
- Help students develop appropriate social interaction skills.
- Develop student-based activities and committees to enhance school environment.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee implementation and ensure procedural integrity and proficiency of behavior plans and programming implemented by team members through onsite consultation and review
- Provide classroom teachers with classroom management techniques and strategies including environmental changes to address challenging behavior
- Conduct assessments including experience with functional behavior assessment/functional behavior analysis using empirically proven assessment tools and make recommendations based on these assessments
- Develop SMART goals and objectives based on evaluation and assessment results
- Provide parent education to facilitate understanding of behavior plans and programming
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in written form using positive interpersonal skills
- Ability to develop and implement positive social support plans including reinforcement systems
- Ability to create data collection and analyze data in visual form
- Ability to communicate with staff and parents regarding social issues including the training of teachers regarding classroom management of social skills
- Effective, active listening skills
- Ability to work effectively with others
- Organizational and problem solving skills
- Bachelor's Degree, Master's Degree preferred in related field
- CSDE School Social Worker Certification, required
- LISW or LCSW, a plus
- Bilingual, a plus
Salary: In accordance with the WFT contract
Click to Apply at:
Windham Public Schools
WINDHAM IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Windham Public Schools to ensure equal employment opportunity to every person regardless of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender; gender identity or expression, sexual preference or physical and mental disability; and to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students and to prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender, sexual preference, or physical and mental disability in the school district's educational program and activities.