Special Education Aide Functional Academics
Job Title: Special Education Aide - Functional Academics
Reports to: Principal and Special Ed Director
Position Available: August, 2022
Pay Grade: Clerical/Paraprofessional Minimum: $12.67 hourly
Days Employed: 185
Assist special education teacher(s) in providing for physical and instructional needs of students with disabilities in special education setting. Assist in implementation of classroom programs, including self-help, behavior management, and instruction programs. Work under general supervision of principal and immediate direction of certified teacher and collaboration with special education director.
High School Diploma or GED certificate
Valid Texas Educational Aide certificate
Acceptable background check and fingerprinting results
48 college hours
Bilingual speaking ability
Ability to work with children with disabilities
Ability to follow verbal and written instructions
Ability to communicate effectively
Ability to lift 50 lbs.
Knowledge of general office equipment
Willing to be trained in Crisis Prevention and Intervention Strategies
Some experience working with children with disabilities
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Help teacher prepare instructional materials and classroom displays.
- Help maintain a neat and orderly classroom.
- Assist teacher in keeping behavioral records
- Assist with inventory, care, and maintenance of equipment.
- Assist teacher with administrative records and report preparation.
- Provide orientation and assistance to substitute teachers.
- Assist students with disabilities at the academic grade level appropriate for the assignment.
- Conduct instructional activities outlined by teacher and work with students to develop and attain various academic and instructional goals and skills.
- Help manage behavior of students. This includes intervening in crisis situations and restraining disruptive or dangerous student behavior as needed.
- Assist students with physical disabilities according to their needs, including transferring to and from wheelchairs, lifting, or positioning.
- Assume responsibility for student learning and adapting to each student’s academic, communicative, and emotional needs.
- Work with individual students or small groups to reinforce learning activities assigned by teacher.
- Follow behavior intervention plans and procedures.
- Help supervise students throughout the school day, inside and outside the classroom.
- Keep teacher informed of special needs or problems of individual students.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Participate in staff development training programs, faculty meetings, and special events as assigned.
Wheelchair lift, Personal computer and appropriate software, copier, and audiovisual equipment.
Mental Demands/ Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Maintain emotional control under stress; frequent standing, occasional walking, stooping, and bending. Biological exposure to bacteria and communicable diseases; Possible restraint and intervention in crisis situations; frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling; heavy lifting of students;