Sign Language Interpreter
SIGN LANGUAGE INTERPRETER - WEST FARGO PUBLIC SCHOOLS
West Fargo Public Schools is looking for a sign language interpreter to join our team for the 2022-2023 school year!
POSITION: Sign Language Interpreter - West Fargo Public Schools
TERM: Approximately 6.5 hours per day, will follow the West Fargo Public Schools calendar
SUMMARY: The interpreter/paraprofessional provides the deaf or hard of hearing student with full access to classroom content. The primary function is to effectively communicate classroom information among the teacher, the deaf student and other hear students according to the level of the student and the goals of the Individualized Education Plan (IEP). The interpreter facilitates and supports a student’s participation with both academic and social communication needs. The interpreter is also responsible for monitoring, expanding, and clarifying the student’s comprehension of the message, and expanding and clarifying concepts. Dependent upon the student’s cognitive, physical, emotional needs, the interpreter may also assist with a student’s personal needs within the school day or during outside activities for which the interpreter is utilized.
- Interpret all communications on behalf of student, including all daily interactions with teachers,support staff,peers,and others.
- Provide sign to voice/voice to sign interpreting which may include American Sign Language (ASL), a form of manually coded English, and/or Oral interpreting depending on the needs of the student.
- Demonstrate understanding of student’s disability through collaboration with the TDHH.
- Act as a communication liaison between students and teachers, peer group discussions, and 1:1 situations.
- Communicate with TDHH teacher about any academic and/or technology concern.
- Assist student with assistive technology as needed.
- Classroom teacher and/or TDHH will share classroom vocabulary with Interpreter in order to be prepared for class.
- Become aware of students' language and skill levels, ensuring appropriate interpreting techniques; review and facilitate students' individualized education plans as appropriate.
- Support school/classroom rules by working with the classroom teachers to support your student(s).
- If applicable, follow the student’s Positive Behavior Support Plan.
- Provide Interpreting for extracurricular activities and/or parent meetings as directed. (Back-to-School Night, Graduation, etc.) These activities/meetings may extend beyond the school day.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned which may include behavioral, academic support, and/or self-care support?including toileting needs.
- Adhere to the assigned work schedule by maintaining regular and punctual attendance.
- Adhere to the code of conduct for educational interpreters as provided by the National Association of the Deaf (NAD), Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (RID) and guidance provided in North Dakota Century Code 43-52-01.
- Maintain all confidentiality as outlined by the West Fargo School District
- Participate in all mandatory training or training appropriate to the position as required by the district.
- High school diploma or GED required
- Must be willing to obtain or currently have appropriate certification in interpreting as follows:
- Pre-certified Candidates:
- Successful completion of an accredited interpreter training program (ITP).
- Candidates who have completed an accredited ITP must pass state exam in accordance with North Dakota Century Code (North Dakota Century Code 43-52-01: A pre-certified candidate has 2 years from completion of an accredited ITP within which to pass the Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (EIPA) at a level of 3.5 or higher (candidate may remain employed if he/she did not successfully pass the EIPA AND has been granted a 1-year extension to pass the assessment). Interpreters who fall under this category will be considered “pre-certified.”
- Certified Candidates:
- Hold and maintain North Dakota State or National Certification in interpreting.
- Pre-certified Candidates:
SALARY: Depending on experience, starting pay will be $21.77/hour-$25.04/hour plus excellent benefits!
DEADLINE: Open until filled
TO APPLY: https://www.applitrack.com/westfargo/onlineapp/ Please submit letter of interest, resume, 3 letters of recommendation, and appropriate transcripts/licensure.
The West Fargo Public School District is committed to maintaining a learning and working environment free from discrimination and harassment in all employment and educational programs, activities, and facilities. The District prohibits discrimination and harassment based on an individual’s race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, disability, age, or other status protected by law. External applicants are eligible for ND Veteran’s Preference: North Dakota veterans claiming preference must submit all proof of eligibility by the closing date. Proof of eligibility includes a form DD214, and if claiming disabled veteran's status, a current letter of disability. West Fargo Public Schools is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusivity in all hiring and employment practices. Applicants who incorporate a holistic perspective and a commitment to inclusion are encouraged to apply.