School Counselor (2022-2023 School Year)
You belong in the Power of WE!
Excellent teachers make excellent schools. That is why we are relentless about hiring top educators who can provide high-quality instruction and build authentic, loving relationships with students.
Position: School Counselor
Location: Castle Hills Elementary School
State Date: August 2022
Reports to: Principal
Compensation: Refer to current teacher salary scale on District website
Work Year: 10 months
To create and sustain an educational environment conducive to the fulfillment of the District’s Mission so that maximum positive impact on the education of children can be realized. A teacher is responsible for planning, organizing, and delivering instruction based on the approved curriculum and Common Core State Standards to help students move towards academic proficiency.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required:
1. Must be eligible or hold State of Delaware certification as a School Counselor
2. Passed Praxis II for School Counselor
3. Bachelor’s degree or Master Degree
5. Proficient in Technology, Microsoft Office Applications, and Children’s Educational
6. Demonstrates sensitivity to issues impacting various cultural, ethnic and
7. Show evidence of knowledge regarding practices known to be effective in
promoting student learning while shows evidence of knowledge while
increasing student achievement
8. Demonstrates understanding and ability to perform job related tasks.
9. Regular attendance is an essential function of the position
10. Acceptable Criminal Background Report and no entries on Child Abuse Registry
in the State of Delaware.
11. Must be able to teach/serve students remotely and in person depending on the
needs of their students.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform the essential duties and responsibilities related to the District. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Develops, implements and evaluates a comprehensive school counseling program
that addresses academic, career and personal/social development for all students
2. Serves as a key member of each school’s Multi-Tiered system of Support (MTSS)
team and participates in the development, implementation and evaluation of
the MTSS program.
3. Works with students on an individual basis to address behavioral health needs
related to peer, family and community relationships, physical health, and
4. Develops and implements “classroom guidance” lessons on relevant topics
(i.e. bullying prevention, anger management, friendship skills and study skills)
5. Serves as a consultant for classroom teachers for students who are experiencing
academic behavioral or social emotional challenges at school.
6. Seeks out and actively participates in high quality, research-based professional
7. Works to support consistent student attendance
8. Helps students evaluate career interests and choices
9. Advises and supports student in their participation in school and community
10. Maintains student records and protects their confidentiality
11. Consistently and appropriately makes use of web-based data collection and
records keeping system.
12. Works to engage families/caregivers in supporting their child at school
13. Maintains a current knowledge base of relevant government and community
based service and actively refers students, families and caregivers as appropriate
14. Interprets the school counseling program to the community
15. Performs other duties/responsibilities as assigned by Supervisor
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential duties and responsibilities of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and/or fingers to handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. This job inquires repetitive stooping, twisting and bending. The employee frequently is required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Why Apply in Colonial
When you apply, you will have:
- The opportunity to teach with a very knowledgeable, high-achieving and fun school team.
- An innovative and diverse work atmosphere.
- The ability to grow and learn in a considerate, and open-minded culture with supportive school colleagues.
- Access to new and exciting technologies to use in your classroom daily.
- A competitive salary with generous benefit packages.
- The opportunity to make an impact on the lives of students and families daily in Delaware.
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested candidates who meet the qualifications may apply by completing an employment application at http://applitrack.com/colonial/onlineapp no later than 11:59 pm on the closing date. A resume and teaching certification are required for external candidates and for internal candidates resume is required.
Applicants needing special accommodations in the application process of this vacancy announcement may contact the Human Resources Division at (302)323-2712.
Note: Incomplete application packages will not be considered.
The Colonial School District is a family of more than 16 schools serving over 10,000 students in the New Castle, Delaware area. We are committed to hiring a diverse teaching staff to create warm, joyful, student-centered and welcoming schools. We believe educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing Delaware and we are working to help solve this problem through the Power of We. The driving force around how Colonial operates, the Power of we is organized around four driving pillars:
- Early Childhood
- Leadership & Learning
- Access & Opportunity
#teachindelaware #newcastledelaware #powerofwecsd #delawareteacher #colonialnation
As per the collective bargaining agreement between Colonial Education Association and Colonial School District, vacancies are posted between March 1 and July 31 so employees covered by this agreement may apply for vacancies in accordance with the application procedures stated on the publicized vacancy announcement.
Procedures: Applicants are encouraged to apply as soon as possible. Interviews and selection of candidates will begin once the posting has been active for five