Posted 25 days ago
Purpose: The Bus Driver is under the direct supervision of the Program Administrator. Bus drivers are responsible for safe transportation of our students to and home from school, and during their school day. Drivers must perform other duties as needed.
Report To: Program Administrator/ Assistant Superintendent for Business Services
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Transports students safely to and from their destination.
- Obeys all traffic laws.
- Transports only authorized students.
- Performs pre-trip inspection in accordance with NSSEO guidelines.
- Assists the Monitor with the loading and unloading of physically disabled students, assists students on or off the lifts, properly secures wheelchairs, and other devices with hold-downs and secures students with seatbelts.
- Ensures that all students are seated and properly secured before beginning route and during the route.
- Conducts post-trip vehicle inspections after every route, including checking all seats to ensure that no passengers are inside the vehicle.
- Is aware of individual student needs including, but not limited to, behavioral, physical, medical, communication needs.
- Detects unsafe conditions while traveling, chooses the safest response, and acts in time, to avoid collision or altercation.
- Alerts administrator when alternative routing or stops are necessary because of safety, inclement weather, construction or emergencies via company communications.
- Knows the location and use of all emergency equipment on the vehicle, including but not limited to two-way radio, reflectors, fire extinguisher, first aid kit, body fluid clean up kits, and seat belt cutters.
- Maintains current knowledge of emergency evacuation procedures.
- Report all accidents and incidents and completes required reports in a timely manner.
- Monitors student behavior, implements interventions when necessary, and contacts appropriate school personnel when needed.
- Exhibits professional, attentive, and courteous behavior to passengers, families, co-workers, general public and supervisors.
- Completes all required safety and training programs.
- Ensures vehicle is clean at all times and assists with cleaning as needed.
- Completes various reports as required by NSSEO policy including but not limited to, incident and accident reports.
- Maintains valid driver’s license and School Bus Driver permit at all times, and immediately reports any changes that could infringe on qualifications or safe operation of required vehicle class license.
- Reports all tickets to the administrator in a timely fashion.
- Uses good judgment in executing duties at all times.
- Assist in the direct supervision of students in classrooms, at worksites and during community based outings, as directed by the assigned licensed staff member as needed.
- Assist in the preparation and delivery of the education program under the supervision of, and as directed by the assigned licensed staff member as needed.
- Follows NSSEO policies and procedures.
- Maintains valid driver’s license and School Bus Driver permit (Division 1 and Division 2)
- Meet the state requirements for Educator with Stipulations endorsed for Paraprofessionals.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English, to understand directions and communicate with students and staff.
- Experience working with special needs students or childcare experience preferred.
- Ability to physically move about a vehicle.
- Ability to lift and position students (30-80 pounds) if assigned to a classroom with such requirements.
- Ability to participate in NSSEO approved behavior management procedures, Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) and to apply training in crisis situations including student restraints as needed.
- Act as a positive role model for students.
- Maintain confidentiality regarding work with special needs students.
- Support NSSEO policy, NSSEO and governing board goals and objectives and The School Code of Illinois.
Salary Range: Bus Driver Hiring Schedule 2021-22 Lane 1