Title: School Bus Driver
Under the general supervision of the Director of Transportation, to ensure the safe transportation of students, staff, and others to and from school, residential neighborhoods, and field trips.
- Safely drives a school bus on days when school is in session over designated routes in accordance with time schedules, loading and unloading students at designated locations.
- Transports students, teachers and others on school field or activity trips.
- Inspects assigned bus on a daily basis prior to transporting of passengers to ensure that bus is in good, clean and safe working order.
- Cleans and refuels bus as needed.
- Ensures that a communication device is in proper working order before each trip.
- Reports all mechanical deficiencies, traffic violations, or accidents, promptly.
- Arranges for and ensures completion of routine maintenance of bus (e.g., oil change); transporting the bus to and from maintenance and/or repair facilities.
- Maintains order and discipline in an effective and courteous manner among students being transported in accordance with district policies and procedures; reports any incidents involving student discipline.
- Observes and tracks route timing, such as total time en-route, time between stops, loading and unloading times or any other requested information for the purpose of establishing route efficiency, as requested.
- Maintains and submits records and reports as required.
- Follows procedures to ensure that no child is left alone on bus without adult supervision at any time, and that all children have departed bus at the end of all bus routes (morning, evening and during field trips or other special trips).
- Inventories bus emergency and first aid supplies and equipment; reports needs to the Director.
- Prepares aides and children for bus drills and ensures bus evacuation drills are held as required.
- In case of accidents/emergencies, evacuates children according to written and practiced procedures, ensures that medical emergency procedures are followed; completes a written report as required.
- Attends and participates in trainings, and other continuing education, career and professional development opportunities.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.Equipment
- Uses standard automotive and bus equipment, and telephone.
- Travels to and from school district buildings, to vehicle service stations, field trip locations and other destinations are required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of all traffic laws, regulations, road signs and related information.
- Manual dexterity sufficient to operate the bus, conduct pre-trip inspections, and clean the bus.
- Visual and auditory acuity within professionally determined normal ranges, with correction if needed.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills.
- Effective organizational, problem solving, and time management skills.
- Ability to learn and comprehend information from procedures manuals and other materials. Ability to comprehend and follow traffic signs required.
- Ability to physically move through the bus, center and classrooms.
- Ability to maintain composure and perform responsibilities under pressure and in cases of accidents or other emergencies.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard school bus environment.
Note: Up to date DOT Physical within one year.
Any combination of education and experience providing the required skill and knowledge for successful performance would be qualifying. Typical qualifications would be equivalent to:
- Motor Vehicle Operator's (DMV) License.
- Current Commercial Driver's License (CDL), class B with Passenger and School Bus endorsement.
To be considered as a potential candidate for consideration of the Bus Driver position, you must submit an online application that includes uploading a current resume. The link to the online application portal is https://www.applitrack.com/wcde/onlineapp/
Washington County Schools
405 W. College Street.
Jonesborough, TN 37659
Washington County Schools governed by the Washington County Board of Education is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the school system may provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.