Hackney Head Custodian *Internal Applicants Only
Job Title: Lead Custodian
Reports to: Custodial Supervisor
Date Revised: 08/09/2015
Dept./School: Custodial Services
Responsible for on-site leadership of campus custodial operations. Establish and follow routine cleaning and maintenance procedures to maintain a high standard of safety, cleanliness, and efficiency of building operations and grounds.
Ability to understand and execute detailed written or oral instructions
Knowledge of cleaning, maintenance, and safety procedures
Ability to perform minor repairs
Ability to properly handle cleaning supplies
Effective organizational, communication, and interpersonal skills
One year of experience in custodial services
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
1. Assign work to campus custodians and oversee completion according to district standards. Train custodians as needed.
2. Implement and maintain established cleaning schedules that include emptying waste and cleaning floors, windows, furniture, equipment, and restrooms.
3. Keep school building and grounds, including sidewalks, driveways, parking lots, and play areas, neat and clean.
4. Comply with local laws and procedures for storage and disposal of trash.
5. Maintain an inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment and order additional supplies as needed.
Maintenance and Repair
6. Make minor building repairs as needed and report needed major repair to supervisor.
7. Regulate heat, ventilation, and air conditioning systems to provide appropriate temperatures and ensure economical usage of fuel, water, and electricity.
8. Assist in setting up facilities for regular and special events and move furniture or equipment within building as directed by principal.
9. Assume responsibility for opening and closing building each school day. Check daily to ensure that all exit doors are open and all panic bolts are working properly during hours of building occupancy. Ensure that procedures for locking, checking, and safeguarding facilities are followed.
10. Inspect machines and equipment for safety and efficiency.
11. Follow established safety procedures and techniques to perform job duties, including lifting and climbing. Operate tools and equipment according to established safety procedures.
12. Correct unsafe conditions in work area and promptly report any conditions that are not immediately correctable to supervisor.
13. All other duties as assigned.
Customer Care Skills
14. Provide professional communication with students, parents, community members, staff, and other professionals at all times.
15. Use proper phone etiquette at all times, speaking slowly and clearly. Take reliable messages, and route to the appropriate staff.
16. Ensure superior customer care skills are used via eye contact, facial expressions, voice inflections, body language, and an attitude of "going the extra mile" for others.
17. Ensure all requests for information are dealt with in an appropriate timeframe.
18. Create and maintain a welcoming, service-oriented environment toward all internal and external customers.
Evaluate, supervise, and issue work assignments to building custodians.
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
Tools/Equipment Used: Buffer, stripper, wet and dry vacuum cleaner, shampooer, lawn mower, edger, and weed eater; small hand tools; small power tools
Posture: Frequent standing, sitting, kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
Motion: Frequent walking, climbing stairs/ladders, grasping/squeezing, wrist flexion/extension, reaching, and overhead reaching
Lifting: Heavy lifting and carrying (45 pounds and over) on a daily basis
Environment: Work outside and inside, on slippery or uneven walking surfaces; frequent exposure to extreme hot and cold temperatures, dust, toxic chemicals and materials; regularly work irregular hours; occasional prolonged hours
Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress