Please email your Letter of Interest and Resume to Mrs. Martha Hanna, Principal, at email@example.com.
Job Title: Assistant Teacher
Reports To: Classroom Teacher/Lead Principal
FLSA Status: Non- Exempt
To provide students with academic skills necessary to function in daily living, for achieving success on state and national achievement tests, and to serve as a foundation for learning at the next grade level.
- Completed at least two years, or 48 credit semester hours, at an institution of higher education; or
- An Associate’s Degree or higher; or
- Demonstrate through a state or local academic assessment (ACT Work Keys) knowledge of and the ability to assist in the instruction of reading, writing, and math
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Works cooperatively with all staff.
- Works within the framework of the Madison County School District as set forth in the line organizational chart.
- Models good reading, writing, and speaking skills for students.
- Works directly with students reinforcing skills taught by the teacher in basic language, mathematics, reading and social skills.
- Monitors written assignments as students’ work. When misunderstanding of an assignment is detected, immediate-re-teaching/reinforcing shall be provided.
- Works with a large group when reading to the group and/or playing vocabulary games.
- Works with individual or small groups to reinforce basic language, reading, mathematics, and social skills.
- Assists the classroom teacher on the playground in teaching and coaching physical activities that strengthen large motor skills.
- Follows daily schedule as outlined by the lead teacher, assistant principal or principal.
- Assists in preparing material (e.g., chart posters, board work, and correcting work), assists in displaying students’ work and distributes and collect paper.
- Supervises independent student study.
- Attends and participates in professional development activities.
- Follows directions of the principal, assistant principal and classroom teacher.
- Assists the classroom teacher with resources files, student unit, and learning centers.
- Accompany small groups of students to and from various locations within the school.
- Assists the lead teacher in the instructional planning process.
- Serves as a proctor among students at any time (such as classroom management, recess duty, testing, etc.) under the direct and immediate supervision of a certified teacher.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk; sit; use hands for fine manipulation, handle or feel and reach with hands and arms using a keyboard and video display terminal. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and move up to 35 pounds and occasionally up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The work environment is a standard office setting and school/classroom combined with a server room. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate and occasionally high.