Full-Time or Part-Time School Nurse at Blessed Sacrament, Wichita
A student’s ability to learn is directly related to the student’s health. The identification, prevention, and accommodation of health-related barriers to learning has become increasingly important because of stringent school accountability requirements, a rapid increase in chronic juvenile health issues, compliance with increased state regulations, and family disintegration. The school nurse also serves as the health advocate for all students by focusing on the promotion of healthy lifestyles and the prevention of illness and disability. The Catholic school nurse addresses all health issues within the context of Catholic moral teaching.
The nurse maintains a current Kansas RN license at all times and attends, when required by the principal, school staff meetings, in-services, and the meetings of the Catholic school nurses.
1. Promotes and protects the optimal health status of children.
2. Maintains and interprets a cumulative student health record.
3. Plans and implements management protocols for medication administration.
4. Provides health education and counseling.
5. Serves on teams that provide recommendations for those students and faculty displaying significant health issues that impact learning.
6. Develops office procedures for documenting health room visits, managing the health room, maintaining supplies, and responding to ongoing or emergency health care for illnesses and injuries.
7. Completes other duties that may reasonably be assigned by the principal that are consistent with the Kansas Nurse Practice Act. (See Nurse Responsibilities in policy guidelines for details.)