JobID 825 : Substitute Bus Driver (#326777)
Job | Posted 3 months ago
Substitute Bus Driver
Provides for the safe, efficient, and courteous transportation of students.
Responsibilities and Essential Functions: The following duties are representative of performance expectations. A reasonable accommodation may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform essential functions.
- Operates the assigned vehicle according to all motor vehicle laws. Keeps the transportation supervisor informed about emerging issues.
- Upholds board policies and follows administrative procedures.
- Promotes a favorable image of the school district. Supports community partnerships that enhance district programs and services.
- Practices defensive driving techniques. Maintains established routes and time schedules. Note: Safety is the top priority even if delays disrupt the bus schedule.
- Transports only authorized passengers. Picks up and unloads students only at approved stops. Keeps route sheets up-to-date. Offers routing suggestions.
- Performs pre-trip and post-trip safety inspections. Checks fire, emergency equipment, and first aid supplies. Prepares written inspection reports.
- Offers help when students ask or their behavior suggests they need assistance.
- Supervises bus loading and unloading procedures. Operates the wheelchair lift. Ensures that wheelchairs are properly secured before operating the bus.
- Inspects harnesses, restraints, and other safety devices. Immediately corrects or reports unsafe conditions and/or defective equipment.
- Anticipates and is prepared to provide assistance when aware of passengers with medical or other health considerations.
- Monitors student behavior. Enforces safety regulations. Maintains high standards and upholds the student conduct code.
- Promotes the proper use and care of school property. Reports student discipline problems, vandalism, and other related concerns.
- Respects personal privacy. Maintains the confidentiality of privileged information.
- Watches for student behavior that may indicate a problem (e.g., profanity, teasing, bullying, distress, etc.). Intervenes and/or reports concerns to an administrator.
- Reports evidence of suspected child abuse as required by law.
- Assumes responsibility for the interior cleanliness of the vehicle. Keeps front, back, driver's side, and door windows clean to maintain visibility and comply with state law.
- Attempts to identify and report vehicles that fail to comply with traffic regulations (e.g., failure to stop for flashing bus lights, passing in prohibited zones, etc.).
- Uses proper protocol when operating bus communication equipment.
- Immediately reports all traffic citations and accidents. Promptly documents all injuries that require medical attention.
- Reports road hazards along the bus route to the transportation supervisor.
- Participates in the district's bus safety program as directed.
- Conducts emergency evacuation drills that comply with current state standards.
- Reports equipment malfunctions in writing.
- Documents mileage.
- Shares in the responsibility for authorized field trips. Remains available to teachers and students during the trip when instructed.
- Participates in training necessary to maintain a school bus driver license.
- Participates in staff meetings and professional growth opportunities as directed.
- Accepts personal responsibility for decisions and conduct.
- Wears appropriate work attire and maintains a neat appearance.
- Strives to develop rapport and serve as a positive role model for others.
- Performs other specific job-related duties as directed.
Amherst Exempted Village School District
185 Forest St, Amherst, OH 44001-1605
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $13,686 (USD)
% ELL Students
State Average: 3%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 16.87
% IEP Students
State Average: 15%
State Average: 294