Early Childhood Master Teacher/Parent Involvement Specialist (Parent Liasion) (#285305)
Organization Profile: University Heights Charter School (UHCS) is an anchor education instution that seeks to develop in each child the character, scholarship, and leadership necessary for success in life, college, and community. Celebrating its tenth year, UHCS serves 750 students in grades PreK-8 in Newark, NJ, with a high-need demographic that is over 85% low income. UHCS seeks dynamic, dedicated, and determined educators who believe all children can achieve at high levels and can close the achievement gap. In addition to excellent instruction, including diverse special education services, the school also provides extensive medical, social, and therapeutic support. Our co-curricular classes and activities include a sports program, string instrument music partnership with the NJ Symphony Orchestra, and drama performances.Early Childhood Master Teacher/ Parent Involvement Specialist (Parent Liaison) QUALIFICATIONS:
1. A bachelor’s degree, master’s degree preferred
2. Valid New Jersey Certification as follows:
a. Standard Preschool through grade three standard certification or Standard (N-8) elementary school instructional certification (required)
b. Additional Certification as Teacher of Students with Disabilities, Bilingual Education, or English as a Second Language preferred
3. Minimum five years teaching in a preschool program
4. Minimum of three years documented experience working with students with disabilities or supporting students who are second language learners.
5. Experience in the Tools of the Mind Preschool/Kindergarten program (preferred), or another program that focuses on developing cognitive and social-emotional self-regulation, and executive functioning.
6. Experience with a range of developmentally appropriate early childhood assessments, including performance-based assessment instruments and classroom quality assessment instruments
7. Experience providing professional development to classroom teachers
8. Experience using a reflective cycle model of teacher observation which includes providing feedback, coaching, and modeling of best practices in early childhood education
9. Experience coordinating and facilitating family involvement plans and activities and the ability to facilitate activities, plans, and communications with community agencies and providers.
10. Demonstrated organizational, communications, and interpersonal skills.
11. Required criminal history background check, proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident status & NJ residency.
REPORTS TO: Principal
JOB GOAL: To provide support and assistance to preschool and kindergarten teachers to ensure the successful operation and implementation of the approved program of instruction and to assist with the daily operation of school.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES: * Performs classroom visits on a regular basis to informally observe and provide feedback, modeling and coaching to teachers to improve practices and instruction through the reflective cycle * Plan and provide professional development and training opportunities to improve and develop early childhood teaching and learning, using both systematic classroom observations, curriculum development reports, and the results of structured classroom observations (Early Childhood Environmental Rating Scale-Revised, Supports for Early Literacy Assessment, Preschool Mathematics Inventory, etc.) * Ensure that systematic early childhood assessments occur in the preschool program * Train teachers as necessary on the administration of the Early Screening Inventory-Revised. * Confer with, and make recommendations to, administrators and other identified personnel to provide professional development and family involvement plans as needed * Coordinate, facilitate and participate in family and parent involvement programs based upon needs identified through a community needs assessment * Ensure the delivery of a community needs assessment, and lead or assist in the compilation of results to help inform parent and family programming * Support transition activities, programs, and services between preschool, kindergarten and grade one. * Coordinate and facilitate meetings for preschool intervention and referral team regarding assistance for students with challenging behaviors or academic needs * Perform additional duties as assigned that directly relate to classroom improvement. * Substitute teach as needed.
SUPERVISORY SUPPORT * Receives direction from the principal in terms of goals and objectives for the role * Discusses new or complicated tasks with the principal and recommends procedures to accomplish tasks.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
Ten-month employee. Salary to be recommended by Executive Director and approved by board.
Performance of this job will be evaluated annually in accordance with the board's policy on evaluation