School Counselor/SAC (#277474)
School Counselor/Student Assistance Counselor (SAC) Lower School
QUALIFICATIONS: * Valid New Jersey Educational Services Certificate and School Social Counselor Endorsement or eligibility or Valid New Jersey Instructional Certificate and Student Assistance Coordinator (SAC) Endorsement. * Minimum experience as determined by the board; previous experience as a classroom teacher preferred. * Broad knowledge of testing and evaluation, theories of individual and group guidance techniques, school guidance program design, and 21st Century Life and Career Standards, as they apply to primary and elementary education * Demonstrated ability to communicate and work effectively with students, parents, staff and community groups and organizations. * Required criminal history check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal alien status
REPORTS TO: Principal, Lower School
JOB GOAL: To help students achieve personal fulfillment by providing them with guidance and counseling services to make successful personal, educational, and occupational life plans.
PERFORMANCE RESPONSIBILITIES: Direct assistance to students and parents * Assists students in evaluating their aptitudes and abilities through the use of self-reflection, teacher comments, interpretation of individual test scores and other pertinent data. Works with students in evolving/supporting educational goals and expectations. * Provides assistance to students or parents with urgent needs as directed by supervisor.
* Maintains a close relationship with the child study team, following directives and recommendations as needed, with principal approval.
* Supports student orientation and information relative to curriculum and extracurricular opportunities.
* Facilitates conferences with parents or child’s guardian to review, discuss and/or implement appropriate steps and stages for intervention and options when necessary.
* Helps to develop grade level transition activities.
* Assists in the coordination of supplemental programs and guest speakers as directed by the principal.
School Counselor/Student Assistance Counselor (SAC) Lower School (continued)
College and Career Readiness
* Works to support student attendance goals through parent/guardian contact and attendance counseling, as necessary.
* Facilitates and supports opportunities for the exploration of Life and Career Skills development, which includes supporting the development of sense of self and areas of interest, developing and acquiring positive attitudes that support success in school and in life, and developing a sense of career awareness and the relationship with academics and personal interests.
* Supports development of college and career readiness through classroom programming, supportive presentations, etc.
Office Management * Maintains a professional office environment.
* Helps to maintain student records and ensures their confidentiality.
* Works closely with teachers, administrators, and other professional staff members, providing information and assistance where needed for the ultimate benefits of students
* Deals with confusion and emergencies in a friendly, supportive, calm manner. Assists agitated or confused students in re-composing themselves during situations where the student has a problem or personal setback. Supports principal and other staff members as directed.
Program Evaluation * Shares research and findings with colleagues and students in order to improve counseling services.
* Assists in the research and review of instructional materials for possible purchase and use.
Interaction with Other Staff and Community Groups * Works in cooperation with resources available within the school community (i.e. child study team, social workers, Dean of Students, nurses, etc.).
* Assists in the design, implementation, and coordination of staff development related to social emotional development of students.
* Serves on the Intervention and Referral Services Team, and case manages as necessary. School Counselor/Student Assistance Counselor (SAC) Lower School (continued)
* Participates in the community/school-based groups to facilitate the liaison between school and community, as necessary.
* Provides coordination of school-based prevention and family support programs with community-based prevention programs, when available.
* Develops community awareness through active participation as a school liaison to appropriate community groups and organizations.
Miscellaneous * Crisis Prevention and Intervention
* Performs other duties which may be within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
Other * Maintains professional competence and continuous improvement through in-service education and other professional growth activities.
* Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Ten-month employee. Salary to be recommended by Executive Director and approved by board.
EVALUATION: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with state law and the provisions of the Board’s Policy on Evaluation of Professional Staff.