Exceptional Children's Teacher Assistant (SED Classroom)
Job | Posted 3 months ago
Pitt County Schools Job Description
Exceptional Childrens Teacher Assistant/Bus Driver
Reports To: Principal and Teacher/Bus Supervisor
Term of Employment: 10 Months (School Year Calendar)
Supervises: No one
Performance Evaluation: Performance to be evaluated annually by the school principal and the bus supervisor
Education/Qualifications: Associate’s Degree or 2 years (min. 64 semester hrs.) of higher education
Must be eligible for school bus driver’s license (CDL).
EC Teacher Assistant Responsibilities:
- Assist the teacher in implementing each child’s Individual Education Program goals and objectives.
- Assist in planning and preparing the learning environment, setting up centers, and preparing needed materials and supplies.
- Assist students, as assigned by Principal, with personal care needs (feeding, toileting, etc.) and medical procedures for which trained.
- Conduct learning exercises with small groups of students.
- Guide students in developing positive relationships with peers and adults.
- Assist with the supervision of students to ensure safety at all times.
- Alert the teacher to special needs of individual students.
- Collect and display suitable material for educational displays.
- Develop materials and group lessons to meet instructional objectives determined by the teacher.
- Correct students’ work under the teacher’s supervision.
- Participate in discipline procedures and prescribe consequences for student behavior under teacher supervision.
- Assist the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing behavior or academic skills.
- Serve as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the teacher.
- Help with general housekeeping tasks and to maintain a neat and organized classroom.
- Maintain confidentiality, especially regarding student information.
- Follow appropriate communication lines to discuss concerns- i.e.- teacher, principal, EC Program Staff.
- Adhere to all policies of school and district.
- Maintain bus license and accept bus driver assignments as needed.
- Perform other duties as assigned by the classroom teacher and the building administrators.