School Resource Officer
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: To provide for the safety and security of the students, staff, and property within the school district by planning to prevent safety and security problems and by responding immediately to deal with any disruption or criminal activity.
- High school diploma
- Licensed pursuant to the State Peace Officer's Standards and Training Certification (Full Time Certification)
- Three years of law enforcement experience
- Provides consulting advice to administrators on plans for safety, emergency preparedness, traffice flow, evacuations, lighting, and video surveillamce, as well as other safety / security concerns.
- Provides training to students, faculty, administrators, and parent groups regarding safety issues, such as a personal safety, fun safety, bus safety, and drug and gang awareness.
- Coordinates security for extracurricular activities.
- Serves as liaison/facilitator between the school district and local law enforcement agencies to coordinate the law enforcement efforts of the local jurisdiction with regards to the schools.
- Develops a communication network between administration, staff, students, and parents with the "cluster" schools.
- Create and maintain written case files of criminal acts by students and reports of deprived, abused, or neglected children and share this information with the school administrtor, school social worker, agencies in the law enforcement and judiciary systems, and the local family and children's service department when appropriate.
- Advises regarding what law enforcement measures are appropriate when the school administrator or SRO belives an incident is in violation of the law.
- Investigates suspected criminal activity on school property.
- Makes arrests on school property.
- Decides whether a situation requires immediate action, whether to change a violation, whether to make an arrest and whether to refer a case to the district attorney for prosecution.
- Performs such other tasks and assumes such other responsibilities, as assigned by the Superintendent.
- Works with school principals to coordinate a safe and orderly environment.
- May be required to transport students.