Pre-K Permanent Building Substitute Teacher 2021-2022
PRE-K PERMANENT BUILDING SUBSTITUTE TEACHERS FOR 2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR
The Greenwich Public Schools are currently searching for confident permanent building substitute teachers for our Pre-K program for the 2021-2022 school year. Experience in teaching is a plus! If you are a friendly and competent professional with interest in education, then we're interested in you!
What Is a Permanent Substitute Teacher?
Permanent substitutes are embedded within a single school community for the duration of a school year. They report to the same school each day, checking in with clerical and administrative staff to receive assignments. As an integral member of the team, permanent substitute teachers are flexible, filling both short-term and long-term assignments. From covering for someone stuck in traffic to filling in for a teacher on a week-long medical leave, permanent substitutes are onsite and can be mobilized quickly. And on those rare days when none of the teaching staff is absent, the permanent substitute can support the administration by covering teachers as they attend IEP meetings or parent conferences, distributing supplies, or making up preparation periods. The benefits of enlisting the help of a permanent substitute are clear. Student learning improves as a result of less disruption and fewer substitute teachers throughout the year. Teachers worry less about their students and their classrooms when a necessary absence keeps them home for a day. Administrators can breathe a sigh of relief as their permanent substitute arrives each morning ready to tackle the day’s challenges. And the substitute teachers themselves also benefit as they have the opportunity to be seen as a regular and valued member of a school community. Permanent substitute teachers can also increase stability during challenging times. They can increase the likelihood of meaningful instruction, thus promoting student growth and achievement. As a regular member of the team, these substitutes observe routines and build rapport with students, staff, administrators, and parents. Their daily interactions allow them to develop a collegial relationship with other teachers and support staff. Permanent substitutes become dependable team members as they report to their home base every day, absorbing its culture and climate. They develop an improved knowledge of school procedures including the school’s fire and lockdown drill protocols which improves safety and decreases liability. Familiarity with individual classroom routines, as well as policies and procedures, increases efficiency. For prearranged absences, teachers can brief permanent substitutes well in advance with any necessary information, while the substitute can provide valuable feedback in writing or in person at the conclusion of each assignment. This facilitates continuity of instruction and allows for follow-up on behavioral issues. Perhaps most importantly, regular interaction with students helps permanent substitutes to understand students’ individual special needs and idiosyncrasies. They learn individual classroom routines and get to know students by name, which increases the opportunity for meaningful instruction. As a result, students become more comfortable as they come to know and respect their permanent substitutes. This familiarity leads to an increased accountability that promotes student achievement. Schools rely on their permanent substitute teachers to more easily manage staff absences. All members of the school community benefit from the advantages these special substitute teachers provide. Teachers are reassured that their classrooms are in good hands, while students experience greater security and improved education when greeted by a familiar face.
Permanent Substitute Teacher Responsibilities:
- Adhere to the curriculum lesson plans assigned by the regular teacher
- Follow procedures and achieve lesson goals
- Assign and explain homework
- Oversee students outside of the classroom including in the hallways and cafeteria
- Comply with all school regulations and policies at all times
- Take attendance and document daily notes
- Ensure classroom and work is kept clean and orderly
- Oversee the normal classroom rhythms and activities
- Compile a report for the teacher for when he/she returns
Permanent Substitute Teacher Requirements:
- Candidates must hold at least a bachelors degree
- State of CT teacher certification or currently enrolled in a CT certification program is a plus, but not required
- Must be detail oriented and able to follow written and verbal instructions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- New permanent building substitutes will be invited to interview throughout the school year as vacancies are created.
- A completed application must include your letter of interest, resume, copy of college transcript and two current letters of reference
- Please review your documents after you have uploaded your electronic files to make sure that the entire document may be read on the screen. Please make sure that your transcripts are legible and printable.
- We only accept supporting application materials online (letters of interest, resumes, college transcripts and letters of reference). Please do not send materials through the U.S. mail or email.
Permanent Substitute Pay Rate:
- The current per diem substitute pay rate is $125.00. You will be guaranteed work every school day.