Paraeducator I – Resource
POSITION TITLE: Paraeducator I – Resource
DEPARTMENT/LOCATION: Special Services / NAME OF SCHOOL
STATUS: Classified – Nonexempt
HOURS OF WORK: 6.5 hours per day
SALARY: $11.60 - $13.34 hourly (starting salary based on education and experience)
- Health• Dental • Vision • insurance
- Kansas Public Employee Retirement System (KPERS)
- Employee assistance program
- Paid time off
- Pay dates on the 15th and 30th
- Adapts and provides accommodations of classroom activities; assignments and/or materials under the direction of the teacher for the purpose of providing an opportunity for special education students to actively participate in classroom activities.
- Aids students in and out of classroom (e.g. Packing backpacks, note taking, relationship building, field trips, social skills, etc.) for the purpose of providing assistance to students’ needs and social growth.
- Occasionally assists students requiring support in addressing personal care needs due to medical condition and/or physical limitations (e.g. Restroom, nutritional, etc.) for the purpose of allowing students to function in the school environments.
- Attends meetings and in-service presentations (e.g. Cpr, education strategies, specific disability education, etc.) for the purpose of acquiring and/or conveying information relative to the job functions to meet established annual state requirements.
- Collaborates with staff for the purpose of providing necessary support and information related to the student’s progress as established in their individual education program under the direction of certified staff.
- Occasionally implements behavioral plans for students as designed by the IEP team for the purpose of assisting in meeting special education students’ needs and providing a consistent environment under the direction of certified staff.
- Occasionally assists students with challenging and/or aggressive behaviors.
- Implements education and behavioral programming under the supervision of the classroom certified staff for the purpose of developing new skills for students.
- Instructs students in a variety of activities in individual and group settings (e.g. Academic subjects, social skills, daily living skills, etc.) for the purpose of meeting individual educational program goals under the direction of certified staff.
- Maintains instructional materials and data sheets for the purpose of ensuring availability of instructional materials and/or providing reliable information regarding student progress under the direction of certified staff.
- Monitors students during assigned periods within a variety of school environments (e.g. Rest rooms, playgrounds, hallways, bus loading zones, fire drills, assemblies, cafeteria, parking lots, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive environment conducive to learning.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the educational team.
- Job related experience is desired.
- High school diploma or equivalent. Paraeducators in title i schools must have 48 college hours or demonstrate required educational proficiency through the taking of Title l Assessments.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
SKILLS are required to perform multiple tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices; operating standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications; preparing and maintaining accurate records; and using district approved crisis intervention techniques.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math; read and follow instructions; and understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions. Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include; instructional procedures and practices; age appropriate student activities; safety practices and procedures; conflict resolution; and stages of child development/behavior; and safe handling of blood-borne pathogens and crisis de-escalation techniques.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, collect data and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others; work with data utilizing defined and similar processes; and operate equipment using standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals. Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans. Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; setting priorities; working as part of a team; and working with constant interruptions.
Responsibilities include: working under direct supervision using standardized practices; providing student, classroom and building information to certified/classified staff when necessary.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions could occasionally require some of the following physical demands: some lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling; climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling; and fine finger dexterity. Generally, the job requires a combination of sitting, walking and standing.
IMPORTANT EMPLOYMENT STATEMENTS
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature of the work being performed and are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. This document describes the position currently available. The District reserves the right to modify job duties or job descriptions at any time.
The Olathe Public Schools prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, national origin, sex, disability, age, religion, sexual orientation or gender identity in its programs, activities or employment as required by applicable federal and state laws.
CLEARANCES REQUIRED: Criminal Justice Fingerprint, Background Clearance, TB Test