High School Chemistry Teacher
Must hold a license issued by New Jersey Department of Education.
The license position area must be in Chemistry.
High School Chemistry Teacher, certification required, tenure track
- Vernon Township High School is expanding our science program and restructuring our science course sequence which will increase the number of students taking chemistry. Under the general supervision of the Director of Science, to develop students' skills and competence in chemistry, and principles of chemistry and physics; develops students skills and abilities in scientific methods and problem-solving, as well as an understanding of the application of science in the solution of practical problems.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in chemistry, and principles of chemistry and pyhsics in accordance with NGSS and the district curriculum.
- Promotes critical and creative thinking and analysis in all related subject areas.
- Promotes a student-centered classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials for subject area, and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of science to everyday existence, including scientific research projects, demonstrations, experiments, and laboratory activities.
- Instructs students in the proper use and care of scientific equipment, chemicals, and plant and animal life.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Maintains familiarity with district and NJSLA standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Physical and Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- State Certification as a Science Teacher or as required for position.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License or ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
- Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
FLSA Status: Exempt