Cafeteria General Helper 2-3 Hours (2021-22 School Year)
Job | Posted 3 months ago
Performs service-level duties to assist with food preparation, counter setup, and serving. Assists in cleaning, storing and receiving of food and supplies; performs other related work as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Prepares, assembles, counts, and cleans, slices, cuts, or otherwise portions food items such as, but not limited to, fruits, vegetables, frozen and cooked items used for packaging and ingredients. Cuts fruits and vegetables and prepares serving trays.
- Assembles standardized portions of food items, places on food carts, and may assist with delivering meals to classrooms.
- Participates in arranging café service lines and individually packaged food items so that students can make easy selection. Assists in arranging equipment and service lines in remote locations.
- Serves food items according to specified portions and pre-determined menus and standardized recipes. Follows proper food handling procedures.
- Operates miscellaneous kitchen equipment such as a commercial food processor, mixer, slicing machine, dishwasher, and warming oven.
- Assists in cooking, baking and otherwise preparing meat and bread products using specialized equipment designated for institutional food preparation.
- Assists in receiving, inspecting, storing, and rotating inventory.
- Participates in preparing food for field trips and other prescheduled events.
- Records food temperatures at required intervals during the food preparation process.
- Cleans, washes, and sanitizes kitchen equipment, food preparation and servicing area surfaces, and sweeps floors, all contributing to maintaining a safe work environment and complying with Health Department standards.
- Learns and may serve as a point-of-sale cashier, accepting money, entering data into computerized program and assisting in compilation of daily receipts.
- Works with custodial and maintenance staff to ensure the efficient operation of the kitchen and equipment.
- Attends meetings and trainings required by district.
- Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position
- Knowledge and Skills:
- The position requires basic knowledge of institutional quantity food preparation, cooking methods, procedures and service; weights and measures; and kitchen safety and sanitation. Requires sufficient language and reading skill to understand and verbalize work instructions. Requires sufficient human relations skill to exhibit positive customer service and work as a productive member of a team.
- Requires the ability to perform the routine duties of the position under direct supervision. Requires the ability to understand, interpret, and follow oral and written instructions. Requires the ability to add and subtract, using decimals and fractions. Requires the ability to work varying shifts and locations. Requires the ability to obtain a ServSafe certificate.
Education and Experience:
- High School diploma or GED.
Licenses and Certificates:
- Requires a valid California driver’s license. May require ServSafe certification.
- Must pass an approved pre-placement medical assessment.
- High School diploma or GED.
Salary and Terms of Service:
Salary range (14) $14.00 - $17.64 per hour, eight (8) steps, 2-3 hours per day and five (5) days per week (M-F). Holidays, sick leave and vacation benefits.
Required Application Procedure:
Apply Online. An online application and all documents supporting the application requirements noted above must accompany your application by the closing date in order to receive consideration for this position. It shall be the applicant's responsibility to supply copies of all documentation, letters of recommendation etc. or other related materials.
A screening committee will evaluate each application, personal resume, and other letters of reference. Interviews will be scheduled for qualified applicants. If after interviews suitable applicants are not found, the search will continue. As required by California State Law, should you be employed by the District, your fingerprints will be taken and submitted to the Justice Department and the FBI for a background check. Processing fee will be at applicant’s expense.
This job/class description, describes the general nature of the work performed, representative duties as well as the typical qualifications needed for acceptable performance. It is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, work steps, and skills required of the job.