Posted 10 days ago
JOB DESCRIPTION VOCATIONAL ASSISTANT (Transition Services)
Purpose: The Vocational Assistant will provide support to the Transition Specialists, establish relationships with clients and stakeholders, and schedule and coordinate services for students. The vocational assistant will attend and participate in team meetings, assist with caseload management activities, contact employers to inquire and follow up on job placements, internships and work sites, and monitor student progress throughout the transition process.
Report To: Transition Specialists
- Meet the state requirements for Educator License with Stipulations endorsed for Paraprofessionals.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Ability to read, write and communicate in English to understand directions and communicate with students and staff.
- Ability to make minor decisions in accordance with established procedures.
- Experience working with adolescents/high school students & programs preferred.
- Three years experience with persons with disabilities and in a secondary or post-secondary setting, including at least one year of vocational or transitional services.
- Knowledge and/or experience with DRS and STEP program preferred.
- Ability to participate in NSSEO approved behavior management procedures, Nonviolent Crisis Intervention (NVCI) and to apply training in crisis situations including student restraints as needed.
- Ability to travel within NSSEO and member districts and physically move about NSSEO and district building as necessary.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist DRS/NSSEO Transition Specialist and staff in job development, observation of students in sites, and maintaining student data for use in referral process.
- Ability to effectively participate in IEP and re-evaluation meetings representing DRS transition services as needed.
- Assist with intakes and case management process and documentation as directed.
- Communicate effectively with DRS and other adult agency staff, member district staff, NSSEO transition and special education staff for the purposes of providing effective management of student referrals and services.
- Conducts job development and job search activities directed toward positions that are individualized to the interests and uniqueness of each student following the transition plan.
- Establish collaborative relationships with students and staff at work training sites, internships and competitive employment for the purposes of successful employment outcomes.
- Establish and maintain supportive relationships with local employers and community agencies to generate opportunities for customized employment for students.
- Maintain data, progress reports, and student work performance records by collecting and reporting data on students, evaluations and monitoring of DRS students on an ongoing basis including monthly status reports on all existing enrolled clients.
- Maintain STEP data base and flowcharts as required by DHS/DRS.
- Other duties may include some task analysis of specific job skills if necessary, coordination of transportation for students to and from worksites, assisting in remediation of work skills with students who do not meet or maintain progress on work habits and skills.
- Provide information to parents under the supervision of licensed staff member to facilitate and coordinate student referrals and services as well as provide pertinent information to parents about programs and supportive services.
- Provide follow-up and support services to graduates of STEP program under direction of Transition Specialists.
- Report student progress, worksite development and current job development progress in team meetings. Prepare monthly placement status reports to track STEP outcomes.
- Work collaboratively with STEP staff to design and implement a continuous improvement project regarding data tracking and compilation.
- Assume appropriate roles as adult model, behavior manager and educator.
- Assume responsibility for continued professional growth.
- Assume other duties and special projects as assigned.
- Support NSSEO policy, NSSEO and governing board goals and objectives, and The School Code of Illinois.
- Other duties as assigned by Transition Specialists
Salary Range: NSSEA ESP Salary Schedule (Vocational Assistant) Lane IV