Maintain Gary Community School Corporation Facilities. Performs maintenance and repair of electric power, lighting, fire systems and communication systems of buildings.
The list of duties and responsibilities is illustrative only, and is not a comprehensive listing of all the duties and responsibilities performed by this position.
- Performs all duties of Journeyman Electrician.
- Performs installation of equipment and fixtures such as motors, lighting switches, outlets circuit breakers, fuse boxes, fire alarm systems, bells, clocks and intercoms, air conditioning units and other fixed equipment.
- Completes work orders, reviews complete work orders and turns in completed work orders within one day of completion of work.
- Inspects wiring and fixtures for conformance to company specifications or local electrical codes.
- Interprets specifications, blueprints and work orders.
- Recommends measures to improve production methods, equipment performance and quality of service.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of shop.
- Analyzes and resolves work problems or assists workers in solving work problems.
- May work irregular scheduled hours.
- Works alone or with support of laborers.
- Maintains regular attendance and punctuality.
- Assists other personnel as may be required for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective working environment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Electrical, as it applies to maintenance code requirements and safety standards.
- Equipment, materials and tools used by an electrician.
- Communicating with staff and administration.
- Using a computer and related software applications.
- Using modern office equipment.
- Physically perform heavy lifting.
- Perform work inside and outside in high places.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
High School Diploma or equivalent. Must be a Journeyman Electrician having completed the apprenticeship program and have five (5) or more years experience as a Journeyman Electrician or must be an Electrician and have ten (10) or more years of qualified experience as an Electrician with Local Electrician Union Membership Card. Must have the capability to communicate with staff and administration. Must have a thorough knowledge of reading plans and specifications related to construction.
Must have a valid driver’s license; may be expected to drive a maintenance vehicle.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects, including the human body. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.