Job | Posted 3 months ago
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTRICT
JOB DESCRIPTIONJOB TITLE: ELL PARAPROFESSIONAL
REPORTS TO: PRINCIPAL/ASSISTANT PRINCIPAL
JOB PURPOSE: To assist the professional staff in a variety of instructional and related student services.
Duties, Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Instruction: Provide direct services to students placed in program under the supervision of the teacher. Work with assigned students in all academic area. Works cooperatively with assigned teachers in assigning and grading work.
- Teamwork: Performs other related duties as required or assigned. Works cooperatively with school employees, students and visitors.
- Administration: Completes paperwork as required by program. Maintains records of lessons and progress of students.
- Child Supervision: May perform supervision duties as assigned by the building administrator. May be required to assist students with issues of personal hygiene. May assist with the supervision of students at restrooms, in cafeteria, and on the playground.
- Requires High School Diploma or Equivalent. Must be Highly Qualified. (AA degree, BA degree, 48 semester hours of post-secondary study, or pass the ETS parapro test)
- Requires knowledge of english & reading instruction.
- Requires a thorough understanding of classroom management skills and methods of dealing with youth.
- Requires a willingness to perform various job-related duties, including issues related to personal hygiene. A strong sense of teamwork and the ability to work cooperatively with others is essential.
- Requires skill in conducting tutorial sessions and using various media to help students with regular classroom assignments.
- Requires ability to keep accurate records and track student attendance.
- Requires pre-service and in-service training.
- Requires the ability to maintain confidentiality.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before parents, staff and students.
Mathematical Skill: Ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Problem Solving: Can identify and resolves problems in a timely manner. Works well in group problem solving situations. Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
Student Service: Manages difficult or emotional situations in a positive manner. Responds promptly to student needs. Responds to requests for service and assistance and meets commitments.
Interpersonal Skills: Focuses on solving conflict and not blaming. Maintains confidentiality. Listens to others without interrupting. Keeps emotions under control and remains open to other ideas and tries new things.
Teamwork: Contributes to building a positive work environment.
Diversity: Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences and promotes a harassment-free environment.
Ethics: Treats people with respect, keeps commitments and inspires the trust of others. Works with integrity and ethically.
Judgment: Exhibits sound and accurate judgment and includes appropriate people in decision-making process.
Planning/Organizing: Uses time efficiently.
Professionalism: Approaches others in a tactful manner. Reacts well under pressure and treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position. Accepts responsibility for own actions.
Quality: Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness and looks for ways to improve and promote quality.
Safety and Security: Observes safety and security procedures. Reports potentially unsafe conditions and uses equipment and materials properly.
Attendance and punctuality: Is consistently at work and on time.
Dependability: Follows instructions, responds to management directions and takes responsibility for own actions. Keeps commitments.
Other Skills and Abilities: Demonstrated ability to operate computers and related software. Ability to perform duties with awareness of all district requirements and Board of Education policies.
Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand and talk or hear and sometimes walk and sit. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may occasionally push or lift up to 50 lbs. such as boxes of books and AV/VCR carts. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision such as to read handwritten or typed material, and the ability to adjust focus. The position requires the individual to meet multiple demands from several people and interact with the public and other staff. May require outside duty and exposure to outside weather conditions.
The statements contained herein reflect general details as necessary to describe the principal functions of this job, the level of knowledge and skill typically required, and the scope of responsibility, but should not be considered an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other functional areas to cover absences or relief, to equalize peak work periods, or otherwise to balance the workload.
Ketchikan Gateway Borough School District
333 Schoenbar Rd
Ketchikan, AK 99901
KETCHIKAN GATEWAY BOROUGH SCHOOL DISTICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER