BEST Teacher (13317)
Pay Grade: Teacher
Employment Type: Exempt
This position is for the 2021-2022 school year.
Provide special education students with learning activities and experiences designed to help them fulfill their potential for intellectual, emotional, physical, and social growth. Develop or modify curricula and prepare lessons and other instructional materials to match student ability levels. Work in self-contained, team, departmental, or itinerant capacity as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited university
- Valid Texas teaching certificate with required special education endorsements for assignments
- Knowledge of special needs of students in assigned area
- Knowledge of Admission, Review, and Dismissal (ARD) Committee process and Individual Education Plan (IEP) goal setting process and implementation
- Knowledge of how to adapt curriculum and instruction for special needs
- Effective communication skills
- One year student teaching or approved internship
General Employee Requirements:
- Regular attendance and punctuality
- Support and align work with the mission, vision, and beliefs of the district.
- Follow and support board policies in areas of related responsibility.
- Ensure district resources are managed effectively to maximize resources for student learning.
- Share in the development and implementation of district success plans
- Actively participate in ongoing development to improve work quality and district contribution.
- Model integrity, work ethic, and professionalism as a suitable example for BISD students.
Major Responsibilities and Duties:
- Collaborate with students, parents, and other members of staff to develop IEP through the ARD Committee process for each student assigned.
- Implement an instructional, therapeutic, or skill development program for assigned students and show written evidence of preparation as required.
- Conduct assessment of student learning styles. Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, and equipment that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned.
- Develop and implement lesson plans that fulfill the requirements of district’s curriculum program and show written evidence of preparation as required. Prepare lessons that reflect accommodations for differences in individual student differences.
- Plan and use appropriate instructional and learning strategies, activities, materials, equipment, and technology that reflect understanding of the learning styles and needs of students assigned and present subject matter according to guidelines established by Texas Education Agency, board policies, and administrative regulations.
- Present subject matter effectively and according to guidelines established by IEP. Employ a variety of instructional techniques and media including technology to meet the needs and capabilities of each student assigned
- Work cooperatively with classroom teachers to modify regular curricula as needed and assist special education students in regular classes with assignments.
- Work cooperatively with the campus and district instructional supervisors, leaders, and department heads to improve instruction.
- Use available technologies as appropriate teaching and learning tools.
- Integrate the instruction of technology into subject area teaching.
- Participate in ARD Committee meetings on a regular basis.
- Participate in selection of books, equipment, and other instructional media.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by the campus principal.
- Be a positive role model for students; support mission of school district.
Student Growth and Development
- Conduct ongoing assessments of student achievement through formal and informal testing.
- Provide or supervise personal care, medical care, and feeding of students as stated in IEP.
- Assume responsibility for extracurricular activities as assigned. Sponsor outside activities approved by campus principal.
- Consult district and outside resource people regarding education, social, medical, and personal needs of students.
Classroom Management and Organization
- Create classroom environment conducive to learning and appropriate for the physical, social, and emotional development of students.
- Manage student behavior and administer discipline including intervening in crisis situations and physically restraining students as necessary according to IEP.
- Consult with classroom teachers regarding management of student behavior according to IEP.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Plan and assign the work of teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s) and oversee completion.
- Compile, maintain, and file all reports, records, and other documents required.
- Maintain accurate student accounting and grading records in compliance with local and state requirements.
- Assist in upholding and implementing administrative regulations and board policy.
- Manage and utilize data effectively for systemic process and program analysis.
- Account for the accuracy and verification of all student program data and reports.
- Implement data-driven decision making for improvement efforts based on best practices.
- Manage and utilize policy effectively for maintaining systemic processes and practices.
- Account for the verification of the correct policy regarding all decisions and correspondence.
- Implement effective policy-driven decision making
- Use effective communication skills to present information accurately and clearly.
- Establish and maintain a professional and cordial relationship with colleagues, students, parents, and community members.
- Adhere to local, state, and federal guidelines regarding confidentiality.
- Maintain open communication by conducting conferences with parents, students, principals, and teachers.
- Respond to parent phone calls/messages in a timely manner.
Professional Growth and Development
- Seek and participate in professional development activities to improve instructional effectiveness thereby increasing student achievement.
- Participate collaboratively with colleagues to reflect on one’s teaching practices.
- Stay abreast of developments in the profession and display openness to change and innovation.
- Maintain updated record of all professional development activities.
- Keep informed of and comply with state, district, and school regulations and policies.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings and serve on staff committees as required.
Personal Growth and Work habits
- Participate as an effective team member who contributes to district, department, and content goals.
- Submit all legal documents in a timely manner as required by Federal, State, and District.
- Display proficient levels of technology applications.
- Utilize time wisely for effective management of job responsibilities.
- Meet deadlines to submit lesson plans, progress reports, grades and other documents as required by the campus/district.
- Maintain punctuality in daily work times, appointments, and meetings.
- Maintain friendly customer-service-driven interactions with all stakeholders, students, teachers, administrators, and co-workers.
- Work cooperatively with co-workers and supervisors to ensure that the goals of the school/department are met.
- Maintain a positive and professional tone in all communication (i.e. email, written, and verbal).
- Direct the work of assigned instructional aide(s).
Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Factors:
- Tools/Equipment Used: Personal computer and peripherals, and other instructional equipment
- Posture: Prolonged standing; frequent kneeling/squatting, bending/stooping, pushing/pulling, and twisting
- Motion: Frequent walking
- Lifting: May require regular heavy lifting (45 pounds or more) and positioning of students with physical disabilities, control behavior through physical restraint, assist non ambulatory students, and lift and move adaptive and other classroom equipment; may work prolonged or irregular hours
- Environment: Exposure to biological hazards
- Mental Demands: Maintain emotional control under stress