Custodian - Substitute
THIS IS A SUBSTITUTE POSITION. THE HOURS AND LOCATIONS VARY.
PAY FOR POSITION: $20.15 per hour.
Passage of a pre-employment physical is required of this position (the district will assume the cost).
This position's responsibilities are to maintain the cleanliness, sanitation, safety and security of an assigned school facility, and to prepare the building for school and public events as needed.
Depending upon the individual assignment, the custodian may perform all or a combination of several of the following duties:
1. Cleans assigned parts of school facility to provide a sanitary and safe environment for student learning and support functions; vacuums, dusts, mops, sweeps, cleans bathrooms and showers, picks up and empties trash, changes light bulbs, fills soap and paper products containers, removes graffiti and provides a wide variety of cleaning and custodial services.
2. Opens and/or locks building doors and operates alarm system for security according to established procedures. Maintains awareness of after-hours building users and reports emergencies and other situations as necessary.
3. Sets up and takes down a wide variety of equipment and furniture for events, assemblies, food service, public use of school facilities and other functions; moves a variety of equipment and furniture as needed to meet the needs of students, staff and the public. Assists teachers, students and administrators in locating needed equipment and providing emergency cleaning.
4. Maintains effective communication with students, parents, staff and the public for safety, security and public relations.
5. Performs major summer cleaning of facility, including floor finishes, furniture, equipment, painting and repairs to prepare buildings for the start of the student school year.
6. Spot cleans and makes minor repairs, such as painting, plastering, stain and gum removal, fixing chair feet and table legs, replacing acoustical tile, clearing drains and toilets and fixing leaks.
7. Performs security checks of facility, perimeter, doors and windows.
8. Pressure washes locker rooms, showers and kitchen mats and area as needed.
9. Washes windows.
10. Operates or uses hydraulic lift, ladders, scaffolding, blowers, floor polishing and other equipment.
11. May be required to operate building heating/ventilation controls and monitor or investigate fire alarms.
12. Moves supplies and materials as directed. May be required to sign for and receive deliveries.
13. May be called on to provide off hours access to student lockers.
14. Stocks and orders custodial supplies as assigned.
15 Assists with maintenance of grounds as assigned, by sweeping walkways, removing litter, clearing ice or snow, and related maintenance of an attractive school facility; may perform minor weeding of grounds.
OTHER FUNCTIONS, Continued
16. May serve on various district committees and/or departmental work teams. Models appropriate and cooperative behavior, including protecting confidential information, consistent with district ethical guidelines.
17. Performs related duties consistent with the scope and intent of the position.
Reports to the Assistant Director or Manager of Facilities. Receives guidance from the head custodian and school administrator as assigned.
May experience frequent interruptions; required to deal with a wide range of student, staff and public behaviors; required to shift focus to respond to student, staff and public needs; may experience daily shifts in work schedule according to building usage; may occasionally deal with distraught or difficult individuals.
Required to stand for prolonged periods; sometimes required to move heavy objects such as furniture or equipment that may weigh more than fifty (50) pounds; required to operate power equipment such as buffers and scrubbers; may need to take precautions to avoid exposure to cleaning and stripping compounds and fumes; exposed to noise from power equipment; positions occasionally performing grounds maintenance may require periodically working outdoors in inclement weather; may need to take precautions to avoid exposure to student bodily fluids; may need to take precautions when performing after hours security checks.
Education and Experience
Education, training, skills, and experience necessary to carry out the assignment, with experience with cleaning equipment and techniques preferred.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to distinguish cleaning compounds and materials. Ability to learn the operation of a variety of cleaning equipment and tools. Knowledge of routine repairs and maintenance, including some painting, carpentry, plumbing and other general maintenance. Ability to move and position furniture and equipment. Knowledge of safety and security procedures. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff and the public.
Requires fingerprinting and background check to determine that there have been no convictions involving physical molestation, abuse, injury or neglect of a minor. Must complete training in and adhere to district infection control plan. May require valid Washington state driver's license. Passage of a pre-placement physical and testing is required of this position (the district will assume the cost).