SALARY INFORMATION: SEE CERTIFIED SALARY SCHEDULE
STANDARD HOURS PER WEEK: 20
MONTHS PER YEAR: 9
JOB CODE: 310020
POSITION TYPE: REPLACEMENT – PERMANENT
LOCATION: THORNTON, CO.
***THIS POSITION WILL BE A FULL-TIME POSITION. ALSO, PLEASE APPLY TO POSTING #2896 TO BE QUALIFIED FOR THE FULL-TIME POSITION.***
SUMMARY: A counselor will demonstrate skills, practices and abilities to contribute to the success of all students. A counselor will promote an exemplary school counseling program which fosters academic achievement, social-emotional well-being, career and post-secondary planning, as well as psychological and physical safety.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work directly with students in all or some of the following capacities: individual meetings, small group and classroom settings.
- Facilitate communication with and collaboration between stakeholders in order to support student success. These groups may include, but are not limited to: teachers, parents/guardians, school mental health teams, community partners, school resource officers, special education teams and administrative teams.
- Establish and show knowledge of child abuse, neglect, and child protection procedures, as well as ALP, 504, RTI/MTSS, and Special Education referral process.
- Demonstrate the following skills: one-on-one solution-focused and short-term counseling, facilitation of psycho-educational groups, trauma informed practices and crisis intervention.
- Exhibit strengths in conflict resolution, decision making, safe school planning, and an equity-focus when working with diverse and special populations.
- Show knowledge of and experience with academic advising, registration and scheduling.
- Utilize the American School Counselor Association’s National Model to plan, evaluate and revise a data driven comprehensive school counseling program for all students. Implement the Adams 12 counseling curriculum and programming to cover the three ASCA domains: academic, postsecondary, and social-emotional development.
- Provide social-emotional differentiation, interventions and extensions for students. Partner with teachers to support academic differentiation, interventions and extensions for students.
- Collect and disaggregate student and school data to create targeted, data-driven program goals and services in collaboration with school stakeholders to ensure student growth.
- Support and build effective systems and teams that positively contribute to school culture and community.
- Ability to interpret and support students and families based on data from academic, career, and individual assessments.
- Create effective transition programs at all levels to increase student connections to school and increase knowledge of educational opportunities.
- Pursue professional growth and participate in district-wide professional learning opportunities to build skill and increase collaboration across levels and stakeholders.
- Adhere to ASCA Ethical Standards by maintaining confidentiality, appropriate boundaries with students, families, and staff, and advocating for system change through an equity lens.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- Master’s degree or higher.
- Must be a minimum of 18 years old.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- Must possess or be able to obtain a Special Services Provider License with an endorsement in School Counseling (required license and endorsement according to ESSA – Every Student Succeeds Act).
- Must possess, or be able to obtain, a valid Colorado Educator License within 30 days of hire.
- Fluency in Spanish is highly preferred.
- Preference given to candidates with ELL Training and/or an ESL or (LDE) Linguistically Diverse Education Endorsement.
SALARY INFORMATION (FOR EXTERNAL CANDIDATES):
Salary placement on our Certified Salary schedule is dependent on the employees’ education and/or work experience
Certified/licensed employees will be granted one (1) year for each full year of contractual and/or work experience up to a maximum of ten (10) years, which includes in-district and out-of-district contractual teaching and/or work experience. Responsibility for verification of outside experience shall rest with the individual employee.
For further explanation of salary placement please refer to our Certified Master Agreement that can be found on our district website.
Adams 12 Five Star Schools is committed to providing an environment that promotes a healthy employee population able to serve our students at the highest level. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as other programs for benefit eligible employees. The employee assistance program, voluntary life insurance through PERA, and 401(k), 403(b) & 457(b) plans are available to all employees regardless of hours worked and are available immediately (upon hire date).
To learn more about our benefits including paid time off, please see our Benefits Overview.
THIS POSTING IS NOT INCLUSIVE OF THE JOB DESCRIPTION.